PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Spare tire location

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Default Spare tire location

Happy New Year to all! My 2004 H2 is equipped with the stock rear tire carrier and I am looking to remove it and relocate the spare elsewhere. I do not want it inside the vehicle.

Two things:

#1. Does anybody have any good solutions for mounting the spare on the roof? I was thinking about putting a stout luggage carrier/rack up there and bolting the spare into this rack. If anybody has done this, could you post some photos so I can see how it looks.

#2. Once I get this done, I will be selling my factory rear tire rack for a good price! PM me if you are interested please. My location is Waxhaw, NC (near Charlotte). It's probably pretty heavy so freight would be high if we need to ship.

Thanks.

Paul

Old 01-04-2010, 07:38 PM

Well first off,

If you put it on top you will need to buy a safari rack to hold it.
If you add that then you will not be able to pull it in the garage, pull onto parking decks, or go through car washes. May want to remember that.

I would leave it outside. I am from High Point NC near you and I go through all of the above often.
If you really dont want it on the back or inside, just leave it at home and hope for the best when you travel.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by BIGT2148
If you put it on top you will need to buy a safari rack to hold it.
If you add that then you will not be able to pull it in the garage, pull onto parking decks, or go through car washes. May want to remember that.
And from the reviews I've read about safari racks, there will also be a noticeable drop in mileage at highway speeds.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:51 PM

Yea I agree. If you pull off that rear tire, you may just be better going without a spare and rolling the dice.

This is some info for you to think about though!