PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Soon to be new owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Default Soon to be new owner

I have been looking for an SUV for sometime now and have narrowed my choice down to a 2006-08 H3. I will do mostly highway driving, but the occassional muddy trail is always fun to hit. I plan to keep my H3 for quite awhile (my F-150 I bought in '97). I'm pretty sure that I know what options I want, but have not even drove a Hummer before.

I have owned several cars, trucks, Jeeps, (currently driving a Corvette--what a change!) and now I look forward to adding a Hummer to my experience.

What should I be aware of? Any things I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks
daveboy

Old 03-28-2011, 04:22 PM

Try to locate an Alpha if you are looking at H3.....The 5.3 is a big improvement over the I5. Only downfall is the price...be prepared to shell out some $$$ for an Alpha in good shape.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 08JJ
Try to locate an Alpha if you are looking at H3.....The 5.3 is a big improvement over the I5. Only downfall is the price...be prepared to shell out some $$$ for an Alpha in good shape.

I was skeptical of the I5, but after a couple test drives decided it was ok. After driving it for a while it's perfectly fine. PCMforless, intake, exhaust supposedly make nice improvements if you want a bit more out of your I5.

On the other hand, my replacement will probably be an Alpha (h3t offroad), nothing like the sound of a V8 with a nice deep exhaust.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:19 PM

I find the I5 to be fine for me. It won't win any drag races, but that's not why I drive an H3. I would recommend you lean away from the '06 with its even wimpier 3.5L I5.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
I was skeptical of the I5, but after a couple test drives decided it was ok. After driving it for a while it's perfectly fine. PCMforless, intake, exhaust supposedly make nice improvements if you want a bit more out of your I5.

On the other hand, my replacement will probably be an Alpha (h3t offroad), nothing like the sound of a V8 with a nice deep exhaust.
Best thing of all is I just put 35's on my Alpha and notice no change in performance....

Old 03-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Banned
Default New?

from the OLD yahoo site,,,these 2 still show!,,,def not loaded!

New Car Dealer Inventory

Find a New HUMMER H3 SUV
There are over 2 listings for the New HUMMER H3 SUV nationwide.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 AM

I've located two locally, both with similar features, both 06s. Can someone enlighten me on the cylinder head problem I have read about concerning 06 models?

Thanks for the inputs so far
daveboy

Old 03-29-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by daveboy
I've located two locally, both with similar features, both 06s. Can someone enlighten me on the cylinder head problem I have read about concerning 06 models?

daveboy
From what I understand the early H3's had a whole slew of problems. Cracking radiators, head issues, exhaust manifold issues, plastic shift forks in the TC.

I didn't know about any of this when buying mine, but I'm glad I ended up buying a 2008 and avoided all this nonsense. The only issues I had was a problem with my stabilitrack and that was fixed with a new encoder motor.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by daveboy

daveboy
I have buyys with 06s that haven't had any issues except the plastic shift fork needing replacement with the steel one. Others have had head issues as well as the plastic fork issue. So it is a Krap shoot on an 06. You could get a gem or a lemon!

Truth, spend the extra $s and get an 07 or 08. All of the bugs were worked out by then and you may still have some of the 5 year 100,000 mile drive train warranty left! No need to transfer the warranty it is automatic unless the vehicle was a salvage.

Originally Posted by Draketh
From what I understand the early H3's had a whole slew of problems. Cracking radiators, head issues, exhaust manifold issues, plastic shift forks in the TC.
WTF are you talking about? Obviously, you need to go back and look a little closer to the posts!
Cracking radiators - can be an issue on ALL years of H3s. they ALL have the plastic/metal radiators! Nothing to do with "early H3s".
Exhaust manifold issues - Once again, not an issue with only early H3s. Any I5 can have the cracking issues. I have a buddy with an 08 that had his crack and another buddy with an 06 with 100K+ with no issues.

Please do not "lump" every issue the an H3 owner has had into what you "understand" as issues with the early H3s.