PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Something is loose/rattling in my rear suspension..

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Default Something is loose/rattling in my rear suspension..

When i hit bumps something is rattling or loose back there. I can't recreate the sound by jumping on the rear, it only does it when I hit a bump. I don't know what it could be. Anyone had this issue and fixed it or know what it might be? It sounds like it might be the leaf springs...I know that sounds weird but that's the only thing that comes to mind that would make this sound.

Last edited by bruceg; 08-30-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:12 PM

Check the jack equipment stored in the rear door. Sometimes that crap comes loose and makes a bunch of racket.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
Check the jack equipment stored in the rear door. Sometimes that crap comes loose and makes a bunch of racket.
I checked that. This noise is most definitely coming from under the rear though.

Last edited by bruceg; 08-30-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:47 AM

Hi. I have something similar for a noise. It chunks and rattles and sounds like the mounting gear has play or something letting it wiggle. But i can't find anything. I do know sometimes it is my back door though rattling. The wedge shaped piece that fits in the one on the door seems to have play or something. I put a rag in it once and it helped but haven't found a permanent fix yet. I would have thought they would have made them tight. Unless there is a way of adjusting it i don't know about.
Either way good luck and if i figure anything out i will let you know as well.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by BERULAKIDE
Hi. I have something similar for a noise. It chunks and rattles and sounds like the mounting gear has play or something letting it wiggle. But i can't find anything. I do know sometimes it is my back door though rattling. The wedge shaped piece that fits in the one on the door seems to have play or something. I put a rag in it once and it helped but haven't found a permanent fix yet. I would have thought they would have made them tight. Unless there is a way of adjusting it i don't know about.
Either way good luck and if i figure anything out i will let you know as well.
Thanks. If I ever figure out what the hell it is, I'll let you know. I know 100% mine is something by, or it is, the suspension. It's not the back door cause you can just baaarely here it with the windows up but with the windows down you can hear it very clearly. Aggravating damn noise too.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:31 AM

Check the clamps on the leaf packs to make sure they have the rubber isolators in place. Check for slop in leaf bushings. Check u-bolts. Check shock mounts. Check swaybar links. Check muffler.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:17 AM

Yea i am gonna go over mine again sometime. I assume it has something to do with my shocks. Either bashing or mounts. But i could be wrong. I figured Thwts bushongs are gone giving play there and clunking. I assume they are original shocks and the rig has 165000 km on it. All road driving but still prob due. It is a good thing i love this car cuz i have had quite a few issues in the few months i have had it. I put new tires,evap vent selinoid, windshield, all new breaks, filters, ball joints, and on topbof that had to go back three times for the tires because mistakes and three times.for windshield customers it was leaking and then on star Anna.leaked and got wet. Also have to put a new manifold gasket in and sometime get the.hood louver stuck down.and get the rack fixed cuz the dealer said i have some play in it.
But i am sure there will be.more.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:28 AM

Changed my rear shocks....problem is now gone. The bushing where the bolt goes through on the bottom mounts were loose as hell and rattling when I hit bumps. The sound is completely gone now.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:02 AM

Awesome... Now i am pretty sure that is where mine is coming from too. I was before but wasn't sure. I am almost ro my end now with the thing. I bought it, put new tires on, evap vent selinoid, lower ball joints, windshield, new filters, all new breaks, filters, plugs, and now i am gonna need new shocks and upper controll arms and tie rods, and fix the rack as well as try to get my leaking roof to stop. I have only had it five months or something like that. Oh yea and i am gonna need new exhaust gasket as well.... I have about eighteen grand in it now and am not sure how much more i can do... But the good news is.... When i do get it all done the thing should be like brand new pretty much... Besides the 168500 km it has on it.... :-)

Last edited by BERULAKIDE; 09-11-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:18 PM

I have the same problem on mine from the rear. Sure sounds like suspension. Having the dealer check it out tomorrow. Will let you know the verdict.

Quick Reply: Something is loose/rattling in my rear suspension..