PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

So I had marker lights installed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Default So I had marker lights installed...

And I noticed that the plastic caps over the screws were not all the way down. Couldn't get them to fit properly so took them off to find that the torxs screws were sticking up a bit. Tried to tighten them but they just spin - couldn't back them out either[:@].
What do they screw into ? I will be bringing it back to the dealer to take care of it, but now I want to know what they should have done and didn't.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Default RE: So I had marker lights installed...

To install the marker lites you have to drill 6 holes across the roof and install these rivnuts it look like a sleave with threads for the screw on the inside and shoulder and knurl on the outside. You put the rivnut in the hole and use a bolt and serrated washer to tighten the the rivnutthismushrooms the rivnut on the inside of the roof. What can happen is you overtighten/undertighen the rivnut and it will not seat right causing what you have. Hopfully they can get another rivnut and just sink it in further. Steve

Old 01-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Default RE: So I had marker lights installed...

ORIGINAL: H3X442

To install the marker lites you have to drill 6 holes across the roof and install these rivnuts it look like a sleave with threads for the screw on the inside and shoulder and knurl on the outside. You put the rivnut in the hole and use a bolt and serrated washer to tighten the the rivnutthismushrooms the rivnut on the inside of the roof. What can happen is you overtighten/undertighen the rivnut and it will not seat right causing what you have. Hopfully they can get another rivnut and just sink it in further. Steve
Yup, I assumed it was a rivnut problem and will find out tomorrow. You know these things are pretty easy to use if you take your time and put them in carefully and as you know are a real PIA to get improperly installed rivnuts out.I hate when this sort of thing happens -makes me lose faith in the service department. I just had to have them replace an improperly installed windshield (replaced due to a crack).
Thanks again Steve.