PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Default Snorkel

I have some snorkel questions. I have read every post about snorkels you have put down. I need some clarifictaion.

I agree with the post from hummech that going deeper than 30 inches would be very bad. But then someone talked about going through water halfway up the windshield, and not from a wave and having no problem. ??????????????????????

Here is my question. How watertight are these things????

Doesn't the water get into the cab and then destroy your carpets????

Someone mentioned drain holes but again I ask the carpet question

Can someone be real specific about what happens when the water goes up past the bottom of the doors????

Thanks

P.S. You guys rock and have been very helpfull.

Thanks

Old 10-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Default RE: Snorkel

Carpets? Bahahaha!! There are no carpets on the floor of my truck.

Anything on the floor gets soaked. I hang anything sensitive to water (cameras, cell phones, etc) from clips on the rollcage so that they will not fall onto the floor and drown. My truck simply has the oem "vinyl covered padding" flooring.

When you go into water deeper than the bottom of the doors, I would call that area of the door seal "water resistant, but not water tight."
In other words, water will start coming in slowly, and will fill up the interior to the water level outside, eventually.

When I went through with water up halfway up the windshield, I was only crossing an area that deep very briefly - had I stayed in at that depth for any length of time, I would have experience numerous problems from water reaching electronics and control modules that are at a level higher than the seat cushions but lower than the top of the dash - particularly in the doghouse.

When I do a deep crossing like that, I often take in water but not more than 6 inches deep in the floor if the truck, which has never been a problem.

FYI, part of the procedure for crossing deep water in a military HMMWV with the deep water fording kit is to open the doors and let the water in, to prevent flotation too much float will make you lose traction, and can cause the truck to drift, which can be very dangerous in any kind of moving current.

ORIGINAL: jameth

I have some snorkel questions....
Doesn't the water get into the cab and then destroy your carpets????

Someone mentioned drain holes but again I ask the carpet question

Can someone be real specific about what happens when the water goes up past the bottom of the doors????

Thanks

P.S. You guys rock and have been very helpfull.

Thanks