PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

SmartBuy contract end options

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Default SmartBuy contract end options

I used GMAC's SmartBuy program to purchase our 2008 H3. The contract ends on 1/6/2011 so I need to figure out what to do with this vehicle. I either need to give it back and pay the small disposition fee ($250) or buy it (re-finance) at the final payment amount.

Our preference is to keep it. My wife drives it as her daily driver, still loves it, and it's in awesome condition.

My issue is that I intended to negotiate with Ally (new GMAC) since the final payment amount is more than they would get at auction for this vehicle. I don't necessarily expect to buy it for the auction value, but I also shouldn't have to pay current retail. The folks at Ally are telling me their system can't adjust the final payment amount, "but they're working on this due to the increased customer demand."

Has anyone else run into this with Ally? Anyone been able to successfully re-negotiate their final payment amount to reflect current value?

Old 01-18-2011, 05:53 AM
Default Ally/GMAC buy out of leased Hummer

Absolutely no negotiating on the lease buy out. My buy out was exactly as stated in the lease agreement. I was going to turn it in at the dealership a few weeks before when I purchased a Jeep for my son and the dealer said they would eat my last two lease payments. I overheard the salesman call Ally for the buyout and his number was exactly what my payoff is. After getting the payoff number he told the Ally representitive this is a car dealership whats OUR PAYOFF? Again it was the same for them as me, NO NEGOTIATING!
I purchased the H-3 Alpha because its in showroom condition and very well maintained synthetic oil changes and all that. After driving my sons Jeep I realized how well put together my truck is and it is a V-8. So I purchased it and probably paid to much but it's mine now and will last many years and the style is timeless. So if your like me you won't let the truck get away to some other owner who really doesn't care how well you took care of your Hummer.
P.S. I bought my wifes Mercedes C-300 off lease in November and they didn't negotiate on the price either. They said the sales on used C-300 is threw the roof. So if you like your vehicle pull the trigger so your not dissappointed when you leave it on the dealer lot.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:45 AM

I don't see them negotiating much on it. You can either buy it or not. If you want the auction price, don't buy it from Ally then go to the auction and buy it. That's the kicker, they know most people cant or wont. If they sold it at end of lease to you for auction price, that would establish the new norm for everyone and set the new resale price for vehicles much lower.