PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Slop in the Steering wheel-please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Default Slop in the Steering wheel-please help

Has anybody else been having a problem with slop in the steering wheel and/or clunky vibrations in the gas/brake pedal? I have recently been to the GMC dealership twice. Once to replace the upper steering shaft and again to replace the lower steering shaft. Neither one of these fixes has helped the problem. It is now worse with the supposedly new steering shaft design. Not only do i still have the vibrations in the steering wheel, the gas/brake pedal but now has a ton of slop or play if you want in the steering wheel. I can literally move the steering wheel about an inch on either side without any direction on the vehicle. Never had more of a sloppy or loose steering ever before in a vehicle. Even if the truck is parked and i move the steering wheel you can feel the slop and clunky sensations in the gas/brake pedal and a clicking in the steering wheel. this is the most annoying thing i have ever had to deal with on a vehicle. I am literally about ready to drive this HUMMER off a cliff. I've never experienced anything like this with all the cars and trucks i've owned in the past. Anybody know anything about the borgeson steering shafts and if the make one for the H3? Please help. I am open to any suggestions.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 AM

No slop in mine. BUT IT DID JUST COMPLETELY DIE ON ME YESTERDAY . Took my son to school and before I got out of our neighborhood the steering went completely out on me. Had to climb the steering wheel just to turn it an inch or two. Thank God it happened before I got out on the highway with my 8 yr old. Problem reoccured this morning on the way to the dealership, scarey. They just called and are going to replace the rack and pinion/ gears, the pump and the rest checked out fine. Should be back to me by late Monday or Tuesday latest and under warrenty . Will post updates and exactly what they find. Good luck with you're issue, hope it gets resolved. I love my T so far despite the problems I've had with it.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Banned

ahh, something is loose or worn. thats about it. a blind man should be able to figger it out so id find a mechanic who knows a ratchet wrench from a claw hammer

Old 02-11-2011, 07:09 PM

Sounds like your steering rack is shot. They should replace the entire steering rack (comes with both inner and outer tie rods also). I had a similar issue with Mr. "T" and they replaced the entire rack and it improved things 100%.

Good Luck!

Old 02-11-2011, 09:03 PM

I can only imagine what it is???

Old 02-13-2011, 07:14 PM

Finally figured out what all the slop and play was in the steering. After being to the dealership twice to replace intermediate and upper steering shafts and still no improvement, i took it upon myself to investigate. I took apart the upper and intermediate steering shaft and found nothing loose there. so working my way down to the steering rack i found something that was loose. The lower shaft that bolts in the the steering rack was loose or at least the connection was because i really had to crank on the bolt to get in loosened. The way it was designed it wouldn't be able to come off while the bolt was still attached but there was some looseness and it would kinds bob up and down-even allowing slack to be had through the steering wheel. Took that off and cleaned everything off and played around a bit-started from the bottom up bolting everything thing back in place and making sure no slop anywhere in the linkage was possible. Still working my way back to the steering column and making sure every nut and bolt was tightened down. After finishing everything up the steering seemed to be a lot tighter and after taking a test drive-everything seemed to just dissappear. The steering is extremely sharp now and doesn't seem to knock on the brake or gas pedal-through the firewall. Can't believe the dealership couldn't figure this out and just trace back where the slop and knocking was coming from. 3 hrs of investigating in the driveway at the house and making sure every bolt was torqued down seemed to do the trick. This was relatively an easy fix to find once you start tracking it down. Hopefully i can now enjoy the truck the way it was meant to be built.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned

ahh, something is loose or worn. thats about it. a blind man should be able to figger it out
i really hate quoting myself!!
congrats, u r now the gm xpert on steering problems. they follow the book,u follow your brain!

keep it simple

Old 04-05-2011, 05:27 PM

Yeah, congratulations! You used your brain, a novel concept these days.