PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Side Marker lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 11:17 PM
Default Side Marker lights

Has anyone come up with a cheaper solution for this? my drivers side front fender turn signal is out and its not worth the $100+ theyre selling for online.

Has anyone found a good alternative or figured out how to service the oem fixture?

Thanks!

Old 02-09-2017, 06:58 AM

Its not for the faint of heart and is a bit technical but yes. They are very much fixable.

Use a dremel with a cutoff wheel or something to cut the back of the lens assembly open. Then desolder the LED diodes and solder new ones in.

They are 4 pin diodes so you will need a solder sucker or solder wick to remove the dead ones.

I was inspired to try it from this thread on here.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...fix-mod-30962/

I did reseal mine with silicone then taped the back in place for half a day while the silicone cured. Works perfect again and cannot tell from the outside that anything is different.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:40 AM

Thanks! That looks pretty straight forward. I will give it a try....if I can find a Radio Shack that's still open...

Old 02-09-2017, 08:12 AM

actually, thats great for the rear but radio shack doesnt have amber... checking other sources..

Old 02-09-2017, 09:46 AM

Ah - yeah forgot. I did it anyways since the front lens itself it amber. And yes - my drivers side one is much less amber than the passenger side but with the amber lens it is not red like the rear. Plus you cannot see both sides at the same time anyways.

I have not had time but I was planning on ordering some white or amber 4 pin led diodes on eBay and eventually redo it.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:54 AM

i found a pack of 20 amber leds on ebay for 6.99 free shipping. So once they arrive I will get to soldering. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-29-2017, 10:40 AM

How did you get on ? Do you have the part numbers, my front passenger one just bit the bullet.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:25 AM

I looked back in my notes and emails and cannot find where I bought them. They are 5mm square 4 pin style ones. If I was going to do it again I'd probably get white ones since the lenses are amber. Also had at least one not work after soldering so replaced it a second time and it worked fine. Probably good to order a couple of extras just in case one gets fried. The actual led's are cheap - should be well under fifty cents each or far less.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:59 AM

i can't even find the type am looking for... Once you desoldered and resoldered them, were there any other bits you had to do ?

Old 10-06-2017, 09:54 AM

Test them, then if all is good silicone the back of the light back on and reinstall them back on your H2.

These are what you are looking for..... you can also find them in white which would work for front or rear. Otherwise you would want amber for the front ones and rear for the rear.

One thing - make sure to get at least 6 or more for both fronts. Odds are when you replace them on one side it will not longer match in color to the other side and if you want them to match then you need to replace them on both front lights (or rear). Plus I'd strongly advise to have a couple of extras in case one does not work right. I had that happen. Replaced one diode and tested and it did not work. Replaced again and it worked the second time. Not sure if I had a bad diode or what.

Quick Reply: Side Marker lights