PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Should I give up my h2 for an h3 bc of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Default Should I give up my h2 for an h3 bc of gas?

I think I posted this in the wrong place so if duplicate I apologize.

I am thinking about getting an H3 to save some on gas, but still be able to offroad. What are you guys getting real world MPG in your 5 cyl and Alpha's. We do a lot of open highway driving and I do 85-90 so I know I can get my foot out of it and save some cash.

But if I were to drive the same, would there be a significant savings, enough at least to give up my 2 and buy a 3? Will I be right back to the same place as the H2 if I level the front and put larger tires on it?(Isn't that why the frontis lower from factory? better aerodynamics = better mpg)

Right now I have an 03 that I get 11.5 -12.5 from OC to Phoenix according to the trip computer which costs about $150 each way. I get about the same in town.

If I am only going to get another 1-2 mpg, I don't thin kit makes much sense. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Default RE: Should I give up my h2 for an h3 bc of gas?

Do what I just did. Buy another vehicle to ride. In my case I found a great deal on a used Jeep Wrangler. I took off the hard top and the doors, and I just tool around with it until it gets cold out. It's like riding a primordial vehicle compared to the Hummer, but it is fun on a sunny day. I am surprised that just by adding this one single vehicle how much my gas bill has gone down and to be honest now I spend the "real" quality time in the Hummer. I try to balance out the rides, and this is one vehicle that I can ride all day for about $40 worth of gas and it's still a 4 wheeler. Hope that helps!
Angela

Old 07-05-2008, 11:11 AM

how much is an alpha and how much can you get from your h2? Will it be worth an improvement of maybe 5 or 6 mpg? Having a daily driver/smaller car is always good.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:31 PM

your not gonna save that much gas. If you want to save gas buy another smaller sporty car.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:38 PM

Do what I do....buy more gas. I would never part with my H2, not even if gas doubles in price. I actually fill up 2 times per week, so I am roughly spending $800.00 per month in gas. Seems to me to be another car payment right? This is my daily driver, and after driving an H3, I couldn't buy one. Sorry! Anyway, good luck, maybe you can keep the H2 and buy a smaller car for a daily driver. Keep us posted.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:21 PM

I got rid of my 1st H2 for a Trail Blazer a few months back for the same reasons. Missed the H2 like crazy!! Traded the Trail Blazer for an 06 H2. I was getting almost 15mpg in the Trail Blazer. But it didnt matter, I missed my H2! Its not my daily driver though, I drive a work truck all day. Use the H2 after hours and week ends. You may be sorry getting rid of it, especially if its paid off!! If its paid off, why buy an H3 to save gas?? Now you have a new payment just to save in fuel, doesnt make any sense! Unless your paying cash for the H3.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:29 PM

You are only going to save about 2-3 mpg in a H3....not really worth the switch if you ask me......keep your foot out of the gas and you'll see an improvement in the H2's gas consumption.....

Old 07-05-2008, 10:54 PM

If the price of gas is truly what's hurting you, I certainly wouldn't bu a 2 or a 3. There are lots of cars out there well into the 30mpg's. If you're like me, it's irrelevant. Just drive what you love.

JR

BTW, I get around 17city / 20HWY (@80mph) with s 5cyl and grindbox.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:10 AM

ORIGINAL: 08H3
BTW, I get around 17city / 20HWY (@80mph) with s 5cyl and grindbox.
20 mpg is pretty darn good...especially at 80! You'll have to publish your secret as the epa only got 18 mpg at 65 mph.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:09 AM

I haven't figured it out either. I'm getting a lot better mileage than a lot of others. The highway number is from a long trip with very little start and stop. The city is with my wife at the helm who is anything but a leadfoot. I'm not complaining on the mileage.

Quick Reply: Should I give up my h2 for an h3 bc of gas?