PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Shock Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Default Shock Comparison

Sorry for beating the dead horse, if I am...

But what would you recommend for changing out the standard shocks in an 06 Lux package? I have been looking at the Fox shocks, but they are a wopping 900 $ for all 4, when the Bilsteins are 90 bucks each on Trailduty.com. My rig has 75k miles, so it's well overdue for shocks. What's the best Bang for my buck for someone who does light to medium off roading (No rock climbing yet) and wants a stiff ride for turns and holes on the road?

Any input or direction would be appreciate, I've been searching on the site for hours now and can't find anything comparing shocks. Please forgive me if I've overlooked it.

Thanks for your time.

-Stavros

Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 AM

Unless you really beat it, I doubt you are needing shocks at 75k. That's just speculation though...no way I can tell without seeing it. As far as options, the factory Adventure shocks have a firmer valving. You might consider those as an option. I have the Cognitos up front. I think they are very similar valving to the factory Adventures, but give you some extra length if it's leveled. That being said, are they necessary? Most will say yes, I will say debatable. Hope that helps a little.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:59 AM

The reason why I would like to change out all four shocks, is because it leans way too much when turning and when stopping. I also leveled out the front several months back, and it only got worse so I put it back to original.

I appreciate your input, however, it didn't answer my question.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stavros1011
I appreciate your input, however, it didn't answer my question.
No problem. Actually, I did suggest the Adventure shocks. May not be what you are looking for, but again they are an option.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:47 PM

I was trying to find the adventure shocks, but the ones priced on various websites are about the same price as the Bilsteins.

If they are a score under the Bilsteins it would make more sense to go with the Bilsteins, No?

I was just wondering what would be the order in which would be the best shocks. Obviously OEM would be at the bottom, but I don't know if I should just wait to get the Fox shocks, or just go with Bilsteins all around. 389 dollars on Trailduty compared to 900 is a big difference, and before I go shelling out money I want to make sure I'm going to be satisfied.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:08 AM

And does anyone know the difference between the Bilstein 5100's and the Bilstein Heavy Duty?

Old 10-09-2009, 09:13 AM

I was trying to find the adventure shocks, but the ones priced on various websites are about the same price as the Bilsteins.

If they are a score under the Bilsteins it would make more sense to go with the Bilsteins, No?

I was just wondering what would be the order in which would be the best shocks. Obviously OEM would be at the bottom, but I don't know if I should just wait to get the Fox shocks, or just go with Bilsteins all around. 389 dollars on Trailduty compared to 900 is a big difference, and before I go shelling out money I want to make sure I'm going to be satisfied.
I've seen practically new take off Adventure shocks go for next to nothing on the forums before. Just keep your eyes out. As a side note, my posts look like I'm trying to push the Adventure shocks on you. I'm not. Do your research and buy what you're ultimately satisfied with.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:59 AM

I'm in the same boat as you looking for new shocks. In my case though, it's for keeping the wheels on the ground and under control through highway potholes with my new, heavier tire upgrade. We're also at about 75k miles with ours, if it weren't for the highway stutter issues, we kinda like the fact that our stock shocks have softened up over time.

I'll likely go with Bilsteins too, probably the HD's because we only have a mild 2 1/2 turn lift at the front.

If you want to stiffen things up for cornering and brake dive, check out the Edelbrock IAS shocks. They've now added H3 fitment.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:38 PM

I'm also having an issue with my car becoming unstable when hitting bumps at high speed, or in the middle of a turn.

Why would I go with the HD's over the 5100's?

I'll check out the edelbrocks, but I think the bilsteins are the best bang for your buck on Trailduty.com

Old 10-09-2009, 07:52 PM

I'm also having an issue with my car becoming unstable when hitting bumps at high speed, or in the middle of a turn.

Why would I go with the HD's over the 5100's?

I'll check out the edelbrocks, but I think the bilsteins are the best bang for your buck on Trailduty.com
I don't know any more about H3 shocks other than what the brands have posted on their sites. Independant reviews for H3 applications are just about non existant. At any rate, Shockwarehouse.com seems to have good selection and pricing. The 5100's have their own trailduty.com retail channel. I'm going to email them both with the specific question about what's recommended for rough highway control without being too stiff.

We had the HD's as stock on our previous Envoy, liked them alot. The 5100's seem to have some good reviews too so either of these two are the ones I just feel most comfortable with.

Our truck is weakest on the rear axle at this point. My idea is to just replace the rears with whatever I finally decide to go with as a test before committing to replacing all 4.

Quick Reply: Shock Comparison