PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Sho-me headlight flasher

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Default Sho-me headlight flasher

Hello all,

I am starting to get my truck ready for the summer and the parades here in Buffalo, NY. We are in about 2 or 3 a year. Anyway I want to add a SHO-ME headlight flasher unit to my truck. I have an 06 H3. I have attached a link to PDF file of the unit I will be using. I would like to know if this will work for me and if any speacial warning you guys/gals may have hear with this. Any information or Tips would be great as well as where is the best place to get my wires from.

http://www.able2products.com/pdfs/03...structions.pdf

Old 06-04-2012, 10:58 PM

I'm a DYI'er whenever possible. But, the First rule of thumb is to read the directions. When I see a disclamer like this and know about how sensitive the PCM and BCM are on an H3/H3T I would just walk away now.

"Attention Installers: This flasher must be installed by a qualified technician. It is the final responsibility of the installer of headlight flashers to determine their compatibility with the vehicle make and model in which they will be installed. Incorrect wiring of headlight flashers could result in costly problems or even permanent damage to the vehicle's computer module."

"NOTE: Do not install any SHO-MEŽ headlight flashers on 2000 model year or newer Dodge Durangos or Dodge Dakotas. Our flashers are not compatible with these vehicles and may lead to the failure of their computer systems. CAUTION! This flasher MUST be wired through a circuit controlled by the ignition switch DO NOT wire directly to the battery."

PLEASE, go to a qualified shop that works on police and fire vehicles and have it installed properly!

Old 06-05-2012, 12:16 AM

dont they also use the ground switching for the high and low?

Old 06-05-2012, 06:28 AM

Wow.. Thanks guys. I am alos a DIY whenever possible as well. I have had this flasher installed in an 05 Nissan Pathfinder with no issues but wanted to check for the hummer.

Now you guys have me wondering. I have 6 white/amber strobes coming in this week as well that I will install. I will have to see who does the police cars in my area and speak with them.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by yearmax
Hello all,

I am starting to get my truck ready for the summer and the parades here in Buffalo, NY. We are in about 2 or 3 a year. Anyway I want to add a SHO-ME headlight flasher unit to my truck. I have an 06 H3. I have attached a link to PDF file of the unit I will be using. I would like to know if this will work for me and if any speacial warning you guys/gals may have hear with this. Any information or Tips would be great as well as where is the best place to get my wires from.

http://www.able2products.com/pdfs/03...structions.pdf
I would agree with Tainter and his large type face and do not touch the headlights.
That being said, how about some strobe lights behind the grille.
Those simple strobe lights can be had almost anywhere and would be worlds easier to install
and remove if you needed to

Old 06-05-2012, 07:13 AM

I will have strobes in the grill and back glass I was just thinking of that extra wow factor but its more of a want than I need to have it. I can live without it. Thanks for the comments everyone. I will try and get some pictures up asap.

Now if I can just find me the marker lights for the roof I would be all set..LOL..

Old 06-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Maybe just run them off a second battery. Use a resistor device to provide isolated charging,or none at all.

I wonder how flashers cause trouble in the first instance,not doubting the warnings.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
Maybe just run them off a second battery. Use a resistor device to provide isolated charging,or none at all.

I wonder how flashers cause trouble in the first instance,not doubting the warnings.
Thanks for the tips there happythree... I have decided not to go with the flashers and just do the strobes.

As for your question on how the flashers causing issues with the truck well one could be that the way the truck BCM looks for voltage on every wire. When installing the flasher unit I would have to cut wires and bypass and doing so could cause abnormal drops or spikes in voltage which will make the BCM think there is an issue. It could go anywhere from no lights to burning the computer altogether.

I hope that helps answer your question. Believe me I didnt think it could cause an issue seeing as I have had this same unit installed on another truck with no issues. After all the advise I have been given and looking at the way the BCM and the truck work together I could see where they are coming from. I did happen to find another unit that was made with the DRL and auto headlights in mind. I may go that route in the future.