PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

shifter bushing kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Default shifter bushing kit

So i was going out to do a couple of things today and just as i was getting ready to back out .. ;-( my shifter moved free back and foward without getting out of park so i figure it was the shifter cable bushing amd after checking downthere i saw the plastic (thanks GM ) bushing on the pavement all broken .. so here is a link to get just the bushing instead of buying a new cable ;-) ... Hummer H2 Shift Cable Repair Kit

It took some tape and a ziptie to hold it in place till i get the part by mail ;-) ... I was feeling like drilling a hole in that metal lever and use a long screw and some bushing to fix it but thats going to be at a later time ...

Old 03-16-2014, 08:04 PM

Hmer,
I did a write up on elcova forums for a perma fix that I will be doing when my cheap fix breaks....

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=42667

But basically the cheap fix has been lasting me without issue for the last 2-3 years is using a nylon bolt that has the four clips on the one side that tend to lock it into place (some places my call then Nylox nuts). Get one, jam it into the opening of the shift cable and push hard on the pin til it locks.
Best 35 cents I have spent. Until then even one had told me that I had to spend 150-200 bucks for a new shifter cable assembly just to get the nylon bolt/clip. Well I said hell no and it has been good ever since.
Given it is nylon like the original peice so I am sure that after time the exhaust heat will fire this one too, but considering it took me 100+k to do so ..... I have a felling my permafix wont be installed for a while.

Hope this helps

Old 03-16-2014, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. Months ago i was lurkin around at elcova and saw your post ;-) who knew i was going to have this problem ;-) .....

Old 03-16-2014, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by hmer
Thanks for the reply. Months ago i was lurkin around at elcova and saw your post ;-) who knew i was going to have this problem ;-) .....
I did. :-)

It seems it is a common problem. Happens to almost everyone.

Personally I would not get that.... looks like cheap plastic. Not even Nylon, or urethane.

Personally, if you are wanting a good replace, go to AutoZone and do my 35 cent fix. I am still years out and it hasnt caused an issue. And if you really dont want the nylon, and want to spend the money. I have one of my prototype shifter brackets you can buy for like 30 bucks. Once installed you will NEVER have to worry about the part again, UNLESS you slam it again a rock and some how break it all apart (since the whole thing is metal - no nylon or plastic - replaces everything.)
BUT again I say ..... hey go down to AutoZone and spend 35 cents.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:41 PM

Ill go tomorrow since im off . Thanks again ...

Old 03-16-2014, 10:27 PM

So jam one of this and the plastic clip should lock in the pin that sticks out of the lever ???

Old 03-17-2014, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by jsbihn
I did. :-)

It seems it is a common problem. Happens to almost everyone.

Personally I would not get that.... looks like cheap plastic. Not even Nylon, or urethane.

Personally, if you are wanting a good replace, go to AutoZone and do my 35 cent fix. I am still years out and it hasnt caused an issue. And if you really dont want the nylon, and want to spend the money. I have one of my prototype shifter brackets you can buy for like 30 bucks. Once installed you will NEVER have to worry about the part again, UNLESS you slam it again a rock and some how break it all apart (since the whole thing is metal - no nylon or plastic - replaces everything.)
BUT again I say ..... hey go down to AutoZone and spend 35 cents.

What is the .35 cent fix and what is this bracket you speak of?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:26 PM

No those are regular bolts with a nylon sleeve.
Yes I know they are also referred to as Nylock nuts, but these are full nylon

These are nylox nuts (which I think is the name on the small container), which basically they are a full nylon nut. You find then in the parts area where you can buy like 5-10 in a little plastic container for like 3 bucks.

I dont remember the exact look or I would give you a picture off the internet, so I will try to get out there tomorrow to take a picture of what it looks like.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:28 PM

LoJac,
The bracket is something that I have fabricated that takes the place of the shifter bracket lever at the bottom that connects to the cable. It is all metal, not plastic. All connecting parts are metal too. Like i said this think would take alot to brake.

Basically this is how they should have made this bracket to begin with

Old 03-18-2014, 08:35 PM

I need a pic of the 35 cents pc that u got . I went crazy at the autoparts today and noone knew what i was talking about :-(( :-( .... this is driving me nuts ...

Quick Reply: shifter bushing kit