PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

service tpm? i just got it..

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Default RE: service tpm? i just got it..

and I have aftermarket rims with no sensors and have never received a message either, obviously it's not the best system ever created[8D]

Old 05-10-2010, 06:01 PM

I have the same message on my 06 H3 and it drives me crazy. I wonder if the message will go away if I just rotate my 4 tires..????

Old 05-10-2010, 08:02 PM

I am dealing with this too. I rotated the spare on and did the instructions in the manual to re-calibrate the sensors but the warning light (low tire) is still on. Very frustrating. I followed the instructions 3 times with no luck.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by importkiller
ok, just to let you know there are alot of threads about this already but....

The TPS message will come on once every ignition cycle, simply push in the trip odometer **** and it will clear the message and will not appear again until your next igntion cycle. It is not a light and not an annoying chime like the seat belt chime, just a message that comes on your display saying service TPM or something like that. That bieng said, I have had my new rims without any sensors for a few months now and have NEVER gotten a message, don't know why but I haven't got one yet.
The "Service TPMS" message will go away when you press the trip odo, but the flat tire dummy light will still stay lit.

Run through the procedure to reset the system, it is straightforward. If that doesn't work, one or more of your sensors may need to be replaced. They have a life expectancy, and they are battery powered. You can pick sensors up on flea bay for $50 each or so. Any tire place can install them (figure $20 a tire in the NYC or other major metro areas). The sensors may vary by year, and make sure you buy the nut in addition to the sensor as they don't always come together in a pack.

The reset procedure (from memory) is:
flick the lights from "auto" to "off" and back again 4 times in 3 seconds
you will hear the horn beep twice
let air out of the front driver tire for 10 seconds
another beep
release air from front passenger tire
beep
rear passenger tire
beep
rear driver tires
double beep
re-pressurize your tires
drive for 5 to 15 miles, all messages should clear from the DIC

Find the actual procedure, it is somewhere on this board, as I wrote it from memory just to show it's easy to do, but my memory may be a little off.

Also, not all spare tires came with the sensors, so if you include your spare into a tire rotation, you will trigger the system. I can tell you the 2008s had spares without TPMs. Not sure about the other years. Also keep in mind, each sensor has a unique address, which needs to be registered to the truck's computer. So if your spare has a sensor, and you have it mounted on an axle, you have to run through the reset procedure to let the truck know the placement of each tire/sensor. The truck does not care if the spare is mounted on the rear door or roof or sitting in the cargo truck nor does it care if the spare has a sensor or not, it does not factor that into the monitoring system, it only considers tires mounted to the axles.

Phil

Last edited by PhilB; 05-11-2010 at 12:58 PM.