PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Serious dealer problem / Stability System issue Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Default Serious dealer problem / Stability System issue Please Help!

Hey guys, you have all helped me out with all the other issues I've had with my H3 so far, so I'm hoping you can help me out with this one. I'm going to copy and paste what I've already written on my Facebook page looking for help. Its a really long story, but maybe some of you can help me out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here it is:

I bought a "certified" used Hummer H3 on 1/22/10 from Enterprise Used Car Sales. They claimed when I bought it that it passed their "rigorous 109 point inspection" and is still under the 5 year/100k Mile warranty. This was the only reason I bought a used Hummer.

I bought the H3 with the intention of putting 35 inch tires on it because they look really good on it. While they were putting the tires on at Hibdon (tire store), they noticed that the CV boot was busted and flinging bearing grease all over the inner-fender...

How could you miss that in a 109 point inspection!? This told me alot of things about the inspection: 1) They never took the wheels off (2) they never checked the brakes (3) the CV joint was most likely bad because it had no grease in it for god knows how long...

I called the dealer on 1/25/10, they said they were really sorry and they'd fix it. So on 1/26/10 I took it down to be fixed, they "repacked the bearing with grease and put on a new CV boot." I could hear the CV joint clicking on my way out of the parking lot... But I had stuff to do and I thought I'll just bring it back if it get bad, after all its under warranty...

So, then that second big snow storm came through, and I noticed that the CV clicking was getting alot worse. I called them again about it: "Ok we thought that might happen, it was pretty dirty went we repacked the bearing, just bring it in and we'll replace the whole axle."

2/5/10- Take the truck in and they say "I guess we didn't quite get that CV boot on there right, it was busted off of there again, uhhaha!" I thought, wow sounds like you guys know what you're doing... (a retarded monkey could make sure a CV boot is tightened down). But they put in a pre-manufactured new axle and two new CV Joints installed and the clicking was gone... I'm satisfied.

A couple days go by and then the warning light on the dash lights up and the readout says "service TPM." This means that the Tire Pressure Monitors are screwed up... I assume this is my fault because I put on tires that were bigger than factory specs, so I'll just bite the bullet on that. But I found out later that other guys with 35s have had no problems with the TPM system and its actually my truck... great.

(By the way a TPM system on a Hummer with 32"+ tires is like a leg monitoring system on a giraffe: if there's a problem it's extremely obvious. My truck would sag about 12" if I had a flat tire, stupid system)

Anyway, I let it go and kept ignoring the TPM lights. I really love the truck its nice and everything else worked perfectly... for about a month.

Then on 3/6/10 I was driving down the road normally and the dash lit up with "SERVICE STAB SYSTEM; TRACTION FAILED; POWER REDUCED; SERVICE TPM and the engine lost all power... If any of you are unfamiliar with traction control, when your car's computer thinks that you may be sliding out of control it cuts the power out from the engine so that you stay in control.

Well, my trucks computer sporadically has a conniption and it thinks that my truck is ALWAYS slipping. This means that I will be driving down the road and engine cuts out and I have to pull over (which is AWESOME when you are on the I44/Broadway EXT bridge, or in rush hour traffic, or spring break traffic).

So once again, took it to the dealer on 3/6, which was a saturday so I sat here for about 4 hours and they said they had to update the PCM (computer) and it "MIGHT fix the problem, but if it doesn't then bring it back and we'll just replace the PCM." They gave it back to me and it seemed normal for about 2 days... then it happened again.

I was going to work on 3/12/10 and it happened again on broadway ext so I just drove it in, at 30 mph... Needless to say I'm aggravated. I said, I'm leaving this with you guys, fix it. I asked for a loaner car and they say "your warranty doesn't provide you a loaner car." Awesome.

I left it with Bob Moore all day Friday, Saturday, Sunday and had to physically drive down here on Monday to find out if it was done because they "I'm not sure, they don't have it back from lunch yet." After coming down here, I'm pissed and the only thing they tell me is "we couldn't get the problem to reoccur on our test drives." So they had it FOUR DAYS and did NOTHING! Actually... Thats not true, they managed to drive it 125 miles over the weekend! They didn't even put gas back it in! But I got a "complimentary wash and vacuum." SWEEEEEET! All this told me was that someone drove it around all weekend, trashed it and then cleaned it up so I might not notice!

I was so pissed I just left. I would've lost it if I was there any longer.

It kept happening that whole week but I couldn't take it back in because I was busy. I just kept pulling over and waiting for the problem to go away. It happened last night on the way back from SXSW and then again this morning on the way to class... So I just said screw it and I'm currently writing this in the customer lobby of the service department.

I drove it into the service department with the DASH LIT UP, WARNING running across the screen, and the truck HARDLY MOVING WITH THE PEDDLE TO THE FLOOR! This is what they had to say: "We still can't diagnose the problem without checking it out." ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? They diagnosed it on 3/6!

So, I'm irate at this point, I said give me a loaner or a ride home to get my other car. The guy says "Well, lets just see if we can't get one of these guys to fix the problem while you're here" like I'm just here hanging out for the fun of it! I've been sitting here for almost 2 hours and I haven't heard a thing. The only reason I'm not strangling someone is because I'm writing this... but now I'm done. You'll see me on the news one of two ways: "A disgruntled Hummer owner strangled a service representative" or "Tonight on In Your Corner: Bob Moore Hummer..."

Let's recap: I've had the truck 56 days, its been in the shop 9 of them and Bob Moore has done NOTHING but drive it 125 miles and tell me there is nothing wrong. For all you math wizards out there, this means that if this keeps up I should expect to spend over 2 hours in the shop for every 1 day I own the truck... Awesome

*Update: Sat there for 2 and a half hours, nothin. Called a cab.

Service guy just called me at 5, says that they've managed to get the problem to reoccur twice and they think that the TWO throttle position sensors are not agreeing with each other and keep triggering "crawl mode" to "ensure my safety." The throttle sensors are NOT covered by the powertrain warranty because they "do not have any direct tie to driving the vehicle"... despite the fact that IF THEY DON'T WORK I CAN'T GO ANYWHERE!!

The service guy then says, they are $350 and they might solve the problem, but they aren't sure. I follow that with, I'm not paying for anything. He says, "well we've got alot of time invested with this deal now." That was followed closely by the loud slam of my office phone.

Here is a video of the readout, btw, I had the gas peddle to the floor while shooting this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mku-HKiOglw

Attached Thumbnails Serious dealer problem / Stability System issue Please Help!-photo-5.jpg   Serious dealer problem / Stability System issue Please Help!-photo-4.jpg  
Old 03-23-2010, 08:12 PM

Wow! Sorry about all the problems you are having. Only simple thing I can think of is to check/replace the battery or battery cable ends. I've read that if these get loose/bad, it can cause some unusual symptoms. Since yours is a 2007 and was a rental, could be that the battery is starting to go or the ends have losened up. I suppose the dealer already checked that, but you never know. Best of luck, I hope it gets better.

WGW

Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM

I would have been at another dealer who know's how to diagnose something properly. Also, if the boot was blown the first time you should have insisted on a new axle right off the bat, Unless they are fixed immediately a blown boot allows dirt and crap into the cv and it's toast.

Are we talking Enterprise, as in you bought a used vehicle from a rental car company? Would have had to been ridiculously cheap for me to buy from them.

Tpms issues, Other than the obvious of checking the pressure in your tires including the spare, Maybe one got boogered installing the 35's. It happened on mine, They don't seem to like being moved much.

Electronics are not covered under the Power train warranty, Throwing a temper tantrum at the dealer isn't going to get you anywhere except last in line. It's a machine, They break. If they can't diagnose the problem and fix it then you take it to someone else who can. The reduced power deal is a relatively common issue, Sounds like your dealer wouldn't know a Hummer from a Schwinn.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:00 AM

supsam86... find a new dealer... I had a couple different things electronically go bad on my 06 H3 and one was the throttle body sensor, another was a accelerator accuator sensor both were replaced under warranty, both gave me the same warning/error codes as you, I also blew a cv boot wheelin in ice and that was cover... of did I forget to mention everytime its a multiple day repair or if they need to order parts they have given me a rental from enterprise or slapped dealer plates on a used car on the lot for me???

GET A NEW DEALER!!!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:16 AM

Hey, the "Reduced Power" thing happened to me. Dealer took about an hour to fix it - apparently was a 'bug' in the software. Has been running fine ever since. Hope it all gets sorted out for you.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 AM

Who was ur service advisor at bob moore? Mine was a *** finally had to talk to service manager to get what i wanted . Be nice but firm.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:21 AM

I feel sorry for ya brother.
In my experience half these dealers are a crock of s%#t !
It's got to the stage my Wife won't even deal with any of them. She's sick of all the bull they feed you. I have to take time off work and deal with them myself.
Hope you get it sorted !

Old 03-24-2010, 02:48 PM

thanks for all the response guys.

Here's what has happened since I posted this.

I called enterprise to see if they would help me out. They seemed shocked that Bob Moore wouldn't give me a loaner car, so they sent out a guy to pick me up today from my house (for free) and gave me a H3 to drive to work (for free) and then called Bob Moore and talked to the service manager (for free).

I got a call from Bob Moore Hummer about 2 hours later, they said that they can't get the stability system to act up again and they felt that replacing the two sensors fixed the problem, but I would still have a bill of $350. I asked the service guy if I would be able to get a refund for the new parts if the stability error happened again, he said no refunds. So I told the guy to take the new parts out because I had never authorized them to put them in there or order them, and that I would just take it as is.

Enterprise called me shortly after that, said they had talked to an unaffiliated GMC dealer down the street that would guarantee a free fix.

Shortly after that, about an hour after I'd talked to him the first time, the service guy from Bob Moore calls and says "my service manager is willing to pick up the cost of the new sensors because it doesn't make much sense to take them out again." Sounds like bull to me... So I just picked it up...

Bob Moore managed to drive it another 50 miles this time (not gas again) but at this point I don't care, I just want my truck back... Next time (if there is one) I'll just take it to Enterprise and let them deal with it, at least I get a loaner that way.

So at this point, Bob Moore has had my truck a total of 10 days out of the 57 i've owned it, driven it about 200 miles, never put gas in it, and only managed to replace an axle and they THINK they MAY have fixed the stability problem... I'm skeptical that they've done anything.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:58 PM

milkmann, my advisor was Mike, Dont know his last name.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:01 PM

OUCH some dealers can be total dumbies when it comes to customer satisfaction. We bought a car a long time ago from enterprise and had a whole list of problems. All their cars are usually beat the heck out of because, well, they are rentals.

I hope everything works out for you.

Quick Reply: Serious dealer problem / Stability System issue Please Help!