PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Seeking opinions on H3 adventure package

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 08:33 PM
Default Seeking opinions on H3 adventure package

I'm in the process of ordering an H3 and was deciding if I should order the off-road package. The salesman has said almost no one orders it andis somewhat steering me away from it. While I live in a city, I do plan to try off-roading but maybe just a couple of times a year.

I test drove both the regular and adventure package and noted the following disadvantages of the adventure package:
- rougher drive on regular roads and over bumps (I don't mind this but am not sure about passengers)
- worse handling. I believe I noticed more body lean when cornering. Can someone confirm this? Is it going to be less stable, i.e. more prone to tipping?

An H3 without the adventure package would have reduced off-road performance. From the specs it has less ground clearance by 1/2 inch; of course will not crawl as slowly, and doesn't have the locking rear differential. This doesn't sound like a great difference in off-road capabilities but then again I've never driven off-road. Is there a significant difference between the two when off-roading?

If it matters, I plan to get an automatic transmission
Thanks!

Old 03-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Default RE: Seeking opinions on H3 adventure package

If you're planning on doing some off roading but nothing serious then you will be fine without the Adventure Package. Like me, I had no intentions of doing as much off roading as I do now so I went with the non-Adventure package. I seriously miss it when I'm on the trails and need to climb or go through some moguls. The rear locker makes a difference in these situations. If the majority of using the vehicle is to commute or daily driver, then I would say you would be fine without the Adventure package. I would say at least 75% of the H3's out there do not have the Adventure package.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2007, 10:11 PM

it is worth it to me. You cant add what it gives you for that price later on down the road. Could it help with re-sale value? not sure, but it wont hurt... that's for sure.

i traded my 06 h3 base for a Lux/Adv 22 days after buying the base..

is the adv more prone to tipping? i wouldnt think so.. i seriously doubt 1/2 of more height would be that significant.

Depending on what you are taveling on off road, the adv can make a difference.. in other words, the Adv package isnt just a marketing ploy with some silly name..

Old 03-24-2007, 10:54 PM

you may be fine if you only plan to off road once in a while. but, you may enjoy it, and want to do it more often, and start doing things that are a bit more challenging. if you can afford the difference (whatever that may be), i'd say get the adventure package. i know a few H3 owners that wish they had lockers on a few runs. but, i've also seen a base H3 trek from start to finish on 7 mile rim in Moab, with an elderly (mid -50's, like Dennis) ladybehind the wheel. i'd say go for it, even if you only use it once, you won't regret it.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:42 AM

I ain't mid 50's (yet)...Mr. very late Forties

But anyways...I don't off road even a little bit...But Just in case, I'm fully equipted for it...I like the Idea of the Adventure package and hope I never have to use it...Plus it should help with resale when I sell it later on for the 08 or 09 model.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:08 AM

From first hand experience my new 07 doesn't have the adventure package and I can tell a big difference in the sound it makes with the hummer lands back on all four tires... it sounds like it's going to break and doesn't sound like it was ment to do that kind of driving lol... My 06 Adventure would take a jump and land and sound solid. I still need to do some adjusting to the t-bars to see if I can fix this. I might have cranked them a bit too much for the 35" tire clearance.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:03 AM

Just get it, makes the truck look more beefier!

Old 03-25-2007, 06:25 AM

I think Hummer should only make the Adventurers Package - after all it is supposed to be a off roader. It is like trying to order a Corvette without posi-traction. It has more ground clearance , a beefier suspension, firmer shocks and rides way more solid.[/align]Should the H3 also come in just rear wheel drive for those who never go off road?[/align]I want them to come standard with a front and rear locker and a heavier suspension. NO COMPROMISES-life is too short[/align]

Old 03-25-2007, 10:46 AM

ORIGINAL: adventurous

I'm in the process of ordering an H3 and was deciding if I should order the off-road package. The salesman has said almost no one orders it and is somewhat steering me away from it. While I live in a city, I do plan to try off-roading but maybe just a couple of times a year.

I test drove both the regular and adventure package and noted the following disadvantages of the adventure package:
- rougher drive on regular roads and over bumps (I don't mind this but am not sure about passengers)
- worse handling. I believe I noticed more body lean when cornering. Can someone confirm this? Is it going to be less stable, i.e. more prone to tipping?

An H3 without the adventure package would have reduced off-road performance. From the specs it has less ground clearance by 1/2 inch; of course will not crawl as slowly, and doesn't have the locking rear differential. This doesn't sound like a great difference in off-road capabilities but then again I've never driven off-road. Is there a significant difference between the two when off-roading?

If it matters, I plan to get an automatic transmission
Thanks!
Does the salesman want to sell you a specific H3 on his lot right now and is trying to talk you into it?

I had to order my H3 because I wanted a 5 speed with the Lux Pkg and I am one of those that did order the off-road option - not the Adventure package - the difference is the chrome wheels only - if you look at any Automaic sticker on a Lux you will see the off-road option listed on 99% - as for the lean that was slight in those I tested - but it settles down in time!

I would say get it - equiped!

Old 03-25-2007, 01:58 PM

I was given a non-Adventure Package loaner H3 the day I bought mine. I actually felt that it bounced more then the one with the Adventure Package. I think the Adventure Package is surprisingly smooth on the street for a 4x4.

I would never buy one without the Adventure Package, kind of ruins the whole idea of a 4x4 H3 for me.

Quick Reply: Seeking opinions on H3 adventure package