PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Safe for my teenage new drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by rhinomike
Yeah I dont necessarily have to have one... But it would be fun to have around. If I wanted one bad enough I would just go get it. I would drop $100k and get a newer model Alpha. The problem is I already have too many toys and vehicles that dont get used. They sit too much. So if I get one I need someone to drive it.... I am thinking about spending $30 - $40k and getting an older H1.

But honestly the real reason I am even thinking about it is to keep the boys safe. God forbid some *** hat runs a stop sign and Tbones them.... I want them to be as safe as possible. I think my 2004 Silverado is safe but thinking a H2 or H1 might be safer..... Not sure....

He wont have any problem driving it..... He drives tractors, quads, trucks, suv's.. etc....

That's understandable, we all want our love ones to be safe and of course piece of mind knowing they are protected! You seem like a good guy and I have no doubt your kids take after you and your parenting, whatever you decide let us know!

Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 PM

FWIW... In a standard vehicle vs vehicle crash, the bigger, heavier vehicle usually wins. My only concern would be in a crash with a bigger vehicle (semi) or a large stationary object. The forces involved have to go somewhere. The H1, while bigger and will overcome opposing forces in most cases, might not be the safest in the latter of the two previously mentioned situations. Newer cars are all designed with impact absorbing frames and bodies. The H1 is more of a truck (big). Just remember Newton's law that a body in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an outside source. This holds especially true for a person's internal organs. In an abrupt stop, the heart, lungs, liver, spleen etc will continue forward until they hit the ribs. Cars are now designed to absorb the energy BEFORE it affects the occupants. In my 21 years as a paramedic, I can honestly say that untold numbers of human lives have been saved by energy absorbing cars. But I love my H1 too. I know that in a vehicle collision, I'm better off. But, if I hit a big tree, I might be better off in an Accord.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Recovery21
Nothing teaches a kid responsibility better than buying him a vehicle! Especially an H1 seeing that money isn't an issue... They are big and safe for sure, but he probably won't be able to fit it in a school parking lot. Depending how big the lot is, he would have to wait for the cars around him to leave first so he could get out. Either way a 2 or a 1 would keep him and his brothers safe.
That's always what I do. I have to wait a good 15-20minutes to get out safely and without getting a ticket from my schools security guards.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:06 PM

i have had a lot of my customers have their kids drive around in their H1. the H1 is twice as safe as a h2 and h3. yes they are big and sometimes hard to park but i can tell you your family will be coming home at night. i have repaired H1's that have been involved in head on collisions and everyone in the H1 walked away.... not so well for the other guys. i have also been involved with H2's and H3's that did not do so well. H1's have a boxed channel frame and it takes a lot to bend them.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by hummech
i have had a lot of my customers have their kids drive around in their H1. the H1 is twice as safe as a h2 and h3. yes they are big and sometimes hard to park but i can tell you your family will be coming home at night. i have repaired H1's that have been involved in head on collisions and everyone in the H1 walked away.... not so well for the other guys. i have also been involved with H2's and H3's that did not do so well. H1's have a boxed channel frame and it takes a lot to bend them.
They are both Very Safe vehicles, but H2's are more teenage friendly. And H2's are a lot cheaper and they run on Gasoline. And the H2's sit up to 6 People.

Last edited by XxCC3xX; 09-01-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by XxCC3xX
They are both Very Safe vehicles, but H2's are more teenage friendly. And H2's are a lot cheaper and they run on Gasoline. And the H2's sit up to 6 People.
yes but my 20 years of hummer experiance and seeing it all and fixing it all, the question was which one is safer. i agee the H2 and H3 are both good vehicles but if money is no issue than my opinion would be the H1 hands down.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:36 AM

I actually got my H1 at 16, it wasn't actually my first car (we couldn't find a open top on the market at the time) but i got it within 2months of getting my license. IMO it is extremely safe and that was also my dad's reasoning for buying it.

BUT it had its downsides, after i started driving it instantly former friends changed, jealousy kicked in and the whole high school experience went downhill. Football coaches constantly made statements about how that vehicle is multiple years salarys for them and playing time reduced to nearly none. Sure some of my good friends thought it was awesome but others just hated me for it, and trust me im not stuck up by any means, fact is no one would have ever thought my family could afford something like an H1. It was keyed several times, tires slashed, top cut, among several typical HS pranks such as bed filled with gravel etc.

Now being nearly 21 in College its a little bit better, People at my University seem to respect and enjoy it more so than just hate me for it. But honestly if i could go back im not sure that i would want it again at age 16, sure i had a lot of awesome times in it but i don't know if the enemys the jealousy created is worth it.

Sorry for the somewhat of a sob story, just figured my personal experience might help your decision.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:58 AM

^Thanks for that. That is a different perspective for sure.

Yeah, I don't know why people have to be so stupid when someone else has something cool...

Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting perspective but my thoughts have always been that if other people have a problem with it...that is their problem, not mine.
Obviously I am a big H1 fan and money being no object, sure get an H1. I also know how most first cars get abused and an H1 will bite your wallet big time if you treat it like most teenagers treat their first car.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
Interesting perspective but my thoughts have always been that if other people have a problem with it...that is their problem, not mine.
Obviously I am a big H1 fan and money being no object, sure get an H1. I also know how most first cars get abused and an H1 will bite your wallet big time if you treat it like most teenagers treat their first car.
haha yeah but that's a little bit different when you are an adult in an adult environment.

16 year olds see eachother every day and can be very cruel. This is a time when their friends and social status may matter more than most and jealousy is overwhelming!
RH was given a wonderful gift from a caring father, but it ended up biting him in the end which was uncontrollable on his end.

But it all goes to show, u never know what happens in your life, it is all about how you handle it

Quick Reply: Safe for my teenage new drivers...