PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

SA H3 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 AM
Default SA H3 headlights

First of all, I currently own a 2009 South African H3 Alpha. I also have an 06 H3 built in the States.
I was in the process of replacing what I then thought was a burnt out lamp in my front headlights the other day. Since its an 09 H3 I assumed it has the same lamp setup as my 06. I try to unscrew the light bulb, it wouldnt move. As I was playing around, I realize that even the light bulb plug is different. The wiring basically plugs into the light bulb as if it was an electric outlet, which seemed weird (in comparison to the 06 H3 plug I mean). It got loose, so all i had to do is tap it in.
I also realized that the shape of the light housing is different. Its more of an oval shape than round. Is this specific on 2009s? In addition, I noticed that the light pattern is completely different. The light beam from the 06 is spread everywhere, while the 09 has sharp cuttoffs. I attached an image that explains how the beam pattern looks like. STARR HID acknowledges the difference I believe, since they have a note that their product wont work on SA models.
Now my question is, does anyone know how can I remove the light bulb? Its not unscrewing, and I want to know what light bulb is it.

Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 AM

Can I assume that you have tried to remove the actual halogen bulb by turning it a quarter turn in the opposite direction ? I say that because the beam pattern is opposite of that in the US where we drive on the right side of the road you drive on the left.
I was just hoping that the bulb would naturally turn in the opposite direction too.
Also, is the halogen bulb you are trying to remove an H13 bulb. That should be the bulb type that is in your 2009 H3, yes ?

I have the STARR system (US -DOT) and I don't think they make a reverse beam pattern for other countries, even though the housing would be the same.

Last edited by wfturner; 02-25-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:20 AM

Actually, I tried turning it the same way as I usually do on the US Model. Both trucks are left hand drive models btw. I didnt consider turning it the opposite way though, not sure why would it be that way though.
The US model has an H13 bulb. Not sure about the SA model.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:43 PM

You should check the owners manual. And if nothing there call the dealer. I would assume the headlights are in the book though. I believe ours is in there.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by BERULAKIDE
You should check the owners manual. And if nothing there call the dealer. I would assume the headlights are in the book though. I believe ours is in there.
I just thought Id update my findings on this thread. I checked the owners manual, it claims its an H13 light bulb. However, the manual was written for US models and then probably re-written for SA models. So this bit might not have been edited.
Turns out I have an H4 light bulb. I checked the setup I had online and it matched the H4. The shape of the bulb, the glare shield, the connectors and how its attached. Now thats interesting!

Old 02-25-2013, 04:42 AM

That is interesting. But at least you matched them up.