PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Rv towing H3

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Default Rv towing H3

I have a 35 foot motorhome and bought an H3 because it can be towed with the push of 2 buttons. My problem now is finding a supplemental braking system for an H3 so that it can be "legally" towed. Any ideas? Also, will adding a braking sytem void any warranties?

Thanks alot for any information.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Default RE: Rv towing H3

there's some type of external brake box that sits on the floor and has a rod that actuates the brake pedal, but not sure how well that would work with the truck not running. i've seen it on an H1, but don't know if it would work for yours. i traveled to Death Valley with someone towing their H3 behind their motorhome, but i didn't look into the brake system he was using. have you tried contacting your dealer to see what they recommend, or talk to someone at an RV dealership?

Old 02-07-2007, 10:13 PM

TammyJean,
If you have found a work-around for this issue, let me know. I was very dissapointed today when I went into Camping World to buy a tow bar and brake system for my 07 H3 and they told me that I could not flat tow it because the H3 has an electrical pump in the braking system that supplies pressure if a belt breaks on the engine, or something else malfunctions. Most brake systems push the pedal with enough force for an unassisted system. The H3 would skid every time the brakes were applied. All of this is according to the sales guy at Camping world. He said that GM even contacted him concerning this and agreed that there was a problem.
I did find this on the Blue Ox website: Perhaps it answers our question, it's too late to call tonight.
Number:
Date:
June 14, 2006
To:
Towing Dealers & Distributors, Blue Ox® Team
Blue Ox®
Subject:
Vehicles with Continuous Power Assist Brakes
Please be advised that Blue Ox® has confi rmed the following vehicles are equipped with continuous
power assist brake systems: Hummer H3, Ford Escape Hybrid and Mercury Mariner Hybrid. Th ese
vehicles are designed so that even when the vehicle is set to tow mode, the braking systems are still “live”
or active, thus requiring minimal pressure to engage the brakes of the vehicle.
Blue Ox’s Apollo®, Luxor™, BrakeSafe™ and AutoStop® braking systems are designed to activate the
unassisted
(“dead pedal”) brakes found in the vast majority of vehicles on the market today. Th ese Blue
Ox braking systems will apply too much pressure to an active power assist braking system.
Do not install these braking systems on vehicles equipped with continuous power assist brakes. Doing so
causes severe tire damage and may cause damage to the towing system and the vehicle’s braking system.
Blue Ox recommends installing the ToadStop™ or Toad Stop™ II braking systems for vehicles equipped
with continuous power assist brakes.
If you have any questions, please contact a member of the Blue Ox
® 24/7 Customer Care
Team at (402) 385-3051 or Toll Free at (888) 425-5382.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:08 PM

I have the same problem. Talked with three other brake manufacturers and found nothing. Spoke with Blue Ox and they said that their "BX88175" brake controller would operate the brakes on the H3. Have calls into dealers here in California to make sure and also make appointment to get controller installed. Hope this may help you.