PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

RUST ON GRILL!! WARRANTY ISSUE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Default RUST ON GRILL!! WARRANTY ISSUE?

HELP!!! I have a 2006 H3 only 13 months old. I have had it in 2 times now with a broken drive shaft. Well yesterday before I took it in I noticed that the whole grill, chrome fuel door, and all the chrome looking badges are starting to rust and get bad discoloration on them. Well when I took it in today I asked them to look at those items and replace since it is only 13 months old. The guy in the service department told me that it is a problem they are seeing a lot, and it will only get worse. He said that it is from the salt and mag cloride the put on the roads. Well I don't care where it came from, I just want it gone. It doesn't sound to me like they are planning on fixing it. Is there anything I can do? He did mention they will try to buff it off or wax it off. I spent a LONG time with a toothbrush working on it this weekend. It will not come off. Has anybody else had this problem? It will definatly bring down the resale and trade in value.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Default RE: RUST ON GRILL!! WARRANTY ISSUE?

Not doubting you a bit..But the grille is ABS plastic..I can't see how that could rust...am I missing something??

Post some pictures of said items...

Old 02-20-2007, 04:37 PM

I know it is plastic. But there is some major discoloration and it looks just like the beginning stages of rust, and I could not think of a better word to call it. Corrosion...rust... I don't know the technical word for it, but it is UGLY and apparetly pretty perminate. I have tried Goof-off, soap and water, and some other crap and nothing works.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:21 PM

I see...Tried carnuba waxes and stuff like that too?...If it it really looks ugly, then get the dealer to replace the grille at least..that's very doable and takes about 10 minutes to do.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: cspringsh3

I know it is plastic. But there is some major discoloration and it looks just like the beginning stages of rust, and I could not think of a better word to call it. Corrosion...rust... I don't know the technical word for it, but it is UGLY and apparetly pretty perminate. I have tried Goof-off, soap and water, and some other crap and nothing works.
Try to avoid putting Goof-off on the chrome in the future. It will cause the chrome to cloud. Trust me...I know this from experience.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:44 PM

I travel about 1000 miles a week on michigan roads which are super salty and I've noticed on my white that i have little rust specs all over the paint. The entire vehicle is covered. Even plastic. I think there might be some small flakes in the paint which cause small rust spots. Im waiting for it to be less salty and then see if they will wax out.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:34 PM

pictures?

Old 02-20-2007, 10:47 PM

Crap tends to have a rust color to it.Goof-off, ouch. It will cloud yourchrome amoung otherthings. It also reeks,if you have bad smell comming in your vents thats why. The best thing I have useso far for my grille is Luster protective wax and shine. I don't get those ugly water spotsand whatever else. I don'trub at all, very light. It smells good lol and comes off easy too. Seems to work better than the carnubaI wax my H3 with. PICTURES?

Old 02-20-2007, 11:37 PM

Strange problem. They salt the roads here, and I have not had any issues yet, but mine is pretty new. Pictures would really be interesting.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:05 AM

ORIGINAL: RutDogg

Try to avoid putting Goof-off on the chrome in the future. It will cause the chrome to cloud. Trust me...I know this from experience.
Oh yea this is a no no...I did this once too...[:@][:@][:@]

Quick Reply: RUST ON GRILL!! WARRANTY ISSUE?