PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Running your Hummer on water.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Default Running your Hummer on water.

Hello

I have been reading a bit about how to use hydrogen gas to decrease your fuel needs.
Basically you have a jar of water, send current into it and use the gas to decrease the need for fuel.
A link for those interested: http://www.green-planet-solar-energy...r-for-gas.html

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if anyone has tried this? What kinda results did you get?

I am quite tempted to give it a try, seeing as the pricetag is quite low. Maybe not on my Hummer first tho.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:24 PM

Sounds like snake oil wrapped in a "very little improvement expected so you can't prove it's not working" package. Want to avoid wasting excess alternator generated electricity, install an underdrive pulley.

My 2 cents, YMMV, IMHO, etc..

Old 11-30-2010, 09:47 PM

I heard about something called brown gas, HHO, I looked into it and it seems to be inexpensive, but if anyone gave it a whirl let us know.. Good thread!!

Old 12-01-2010, 05:03 PM

That ought to help make sulfuric acid and corrode your exhaust much faster but there is more energy in a hydro carbon than the hydrogen that would otherwise be displacing it.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pauldy
That ought to help make sulfuric acid and corrode your exhaust much faster but there is more energy in a hydro carbon than the hydrogen that would otherwise be displacing it.
You are using the excess electricity to make the hydrogen. The idea is that you will need less throttle to reach the same speed, which would mean you would need to use less gas.

And no, it does not damage you vehicle faster, its actually the opposite, or so they say.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:41 AM

There are still sulfides in the fuel you burn that don't all get removed form the process as oil is refined into fuel grade gasoline. The process your describing will create a new hydrogenation process in your cylinders and the most likely reaction of this will create an amount of H2S04 that won't be insignificant and it will most likely accumulate in quantities in your exhaust causing corrosion. I would also add the electrolysis process itself uses electricity and using it increases the load the alternator puts on the engine so it isn't just "spare electricity". Sounds like your convinced it will work so don't let me stop you there is a nice market for hummer spare parts when you destroy your ride.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pauldy
There are still sulfides in the fuel you burn that don't all get removed form the process as oil is refined into fuel grade gasoline. The process your describing will create a new hydrogenation process in your cylinders and the most likely reaction of this will create an amount of H2S04 that won't be insignificant and it will most likely accumulate in quantities in your exhaust causing corrosion. I would also add the electrolysis process itself uses electricity and using it increases the load the alternator puts on the engine so it isn't just "spare electricity". Sounds like your convinced it will work so don't let me stop you there is a nice market for hummer spare parts when you destroy your ride.
Well, it seems like you are just speculating on the chemistry. I have read nothing about it being more damaging on the engine than just running on gas, I have only read the opposite.

The whole point of the process is the use of excess electricity, if there is none to take, no gas will be made, more or less.

I really just wanna know if anyone has tried this and if it worked, not really looking for skepticism, cause there is a ton of that out there already from people who haven't tried or seen it in action.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:00 PM

If anyone ever tried this plzz let us know. I been wanting to know this for a year now.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by luda81
If anyone ever tried this plzz let us know. I been wanting to know this for a year now.
I had a customer testing a hydrogen generation system on his fleet truck. It doesn't work. At least not in an efficient manner. The problem is that there's no "free lunch". To get enough gas to generate significant gains, you need a pretty hefty voltage supply, which in turn taxes your alternator and puts a drag on the engine, thus losing the gains you're making by using the gas.

You simply can't cheat the second law of thermodynamics.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by nathansvt
I had a customer testing a hydrogen generation system on his fleet truck. It doesn't work. At least not in an efficient manner. The problem is that there's no "free lunch". To get enough gas to generate significant gains, you need a pretty hefty voltage supply, which in turn taxes your alternator and puts a drag on the engine, thus losing the gains you're making by using the gas.

You simply can't cheat the second law of thermodynamics.
It appears you are correct. Searching around abit more I came up with this link.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...water4gas.html

And it basically states what you are stating, maybe you read it before you write that? Ah well, as usual "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

Quick Reply: Running your Hummer on water.