PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Rpm's at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 04:20 AM
Default Rpm's at idle?

What is your rpm at Idol. Mine runs about 500 and is a bit rough and causes a vibration in the steering wheel. When I bring it up to 1000-1500 it goes away. I did put on the air intake system that was posted to one of the forum's. Not sure that it is causing vibration at idle.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:02 AM
Banned

on cold start,in neutral,900 for a minute appx, then 600. shift to drive,it goes up slightly but usually abt 500-600. minor, normal vibration but steady , no tach change. rough means??

Old 12-01-2011, 06:32 AM
Default rpm's

Originally Posted by drtom
on cold start,in neutral,900 for a minute appx, then 600. shift to drive,it goes up slightly but usually abt 500-600. minor, normal vibration but steady , no tach change. rough means??
Rough in like vibration on steering wheel. Yes vibration is steady. Was wondering if I should put back original airflow pieces. Can not remember if I had vibration before I converted air intake where I replaced the snorkel going into the side of the fender, filter and air intake tube to carb.
Thanks for the reply

Old 12-01-2011, 08:22 AM

I would revert to stock and see if it still does it... Also when you installed were you careful in handling the MAF? Did you clean any of the MAF or TB compnents?

The I5 does have a rougher idle than alot of other engines... But if it feels as if the motor is about to stall than there's more going on...

Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 AM

Not sure how often you clean the fuel system, but if its been awhile a bottle of Chevron Techron may help to smooth out the idle if a dirty fuel component is at fault.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

The I5 is not inherently balanced. A straight-five design has free moments (vibrations) of the first and second order, whereas the I6 has zero free moments.

Yes, your steering wheel vibrates at idle.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Banned
Default rough idle,?misfire?

most net discussions of rough idle talk about actual roughness/stumbling/misfire.
i dont think the term rough idle is proper for an i5 running normally and causing a slight ,STEADY, vibration.
it is idling at a constant rpm and each cylinder is firing the same as the others as smooth as can be at a low rpm.
i think there is a misuse of the terminology.
rough idle and steady vibration are two different things.
you can feel vibrations from electric motors!!

Old 12-01-2011, 04:16 PM

My 08 does the same, vibration in steering wheel at idle, believe its normal.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Thumbs up Vibration at idle:

Thanks for the feedback on the vibration at idle. From your comments I also think it is normal. The steering wheel and engine are as smooth as glass once you are on your way.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by DAGKANA
I would revert to stock and see if it still does it... Also when you installed were you careful in handling the MAF? Did you clean any of the MAF or TB compnents?

The I5 does have a rougher idle than alot of other engines... But if it feels as if the motor is about to stall than there's more going on...
Motor does not feel like it is going to stall. I also did not clean anything on the MAF. Just unplugged the unit and attached the reducing couple. When I was all done I plugged the MAF connector back in.

Thanks for the Information.

Quick Reply: Rpm's at idle?