PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

rough idling

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Default rough idling

Had my 3.7 L h3 idling rough yesterday and it also sounded like a v-twin at the tailpipe,also had the check engine light flashing until i revved it up and everything came back to normal,light went off,anybody has a clue on this issue?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:05 AM

I would get to someone who has a scanner to find out what the code was that caused your service engine light come on. Here in the states, we can go to most autopart stores and they'll read the code for you for free.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:08 AM

did it say reduced power?

Old 09-06-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Fancy Pants
did it say reduced power?
No,did not say reduced power...was just idling after getting to my destination but flashing the check engine light.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:56 PM

I believe if the check engine light is flashing your supposed to call the dealer immediately, because it can cause further damage to the vehicle if you keep it running. I had a flashing check engine light and I called the dealer while I was driving it and they asked me if it was flashing, and as soon as I said yes they told me to pull over asap and they are sending a tow truck. Of course this was under warranty still, and the BCM computer was not working properly.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:43 PM

Read it with a scanner like everyone else said.

If it were me and vehicle was out of warranty I would start with the three most important things, air, fuel, and spark, make sure it's getting all three correctly.

I'd also give my throttle body a good cleaning, its surprising how dirty those things can get after a few thousand miles.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Draketh
If it were me and vehicle was out of warranty I would start with the three most important things, air, fuel, and spark, make sure it's getting all three correctly.
How would you check spark?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelmonster
How would you check spark?
Pull a plug out and ground the threads against the engine block, have someone turn the engine over and make sure you're getting a nice bright blue spark.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by 2wheelmonster
I believe if the check engine light is flashing your supposed to call the dealer immediately, because it can cause further damage to the vehicle if you keep it running. I had a flashing check engine light and I called the dealer while I was driving it and they asked me if it was flashing, and as soon as I said yes they told me to pull over asap and they are sending a tow truck. Of course this was under warranty still, and the BCM computer was not working properly.
I'm not sure if the ECM will still have that code in memory since it stopped flashing and one more thing...powertrain warranty left on this vehicle and dealer keeps telling me that verifying such problems are not covered but to me,if the engine is not running right,it's got to do something with POWERTRAIN!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by danx1
I'm not sure if the ECM will still have that code in memory since it stopped flashing and one more thing...powertrain warranty left on this vehicle and dealer keeps telling me that verifying such problems are not covered but to me,if the engine is not running right,it's got to do something with POWERTRAIN!
Your absolutely right, good luck to you, let us know what you find out

Quick Reply: rough idling