PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Rough Idle - P300 Code

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 AM

Did you buy it from a dealer? If you've only had it 2 weeks bring it back to them and have them figure it out...just don't tell them you replaced anything lol...In MA if anything goes wrong in the first 30 days after purchase preventing the vehicle from passing state inspection (CEL) it's the responsibility of whomever sold it to you to fix it (lemon law)

Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM

No. I bought it from a guy in PA and it was shipped here. But it was running just fine until I did that. I did just put another set of spark plugs in, gapped at 0.43 and just cleaned the throttle body more and its outside drying out now.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:11 AM

Well I installed the new spark plugs even the last ones were brand new as well. I took the throttle body off this time as well and it got cleaned really well. I also had the positive and negative terminals on the disconnected this time , for an hour. no codes, no rough idling. smooth again.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by groomsxxx
Well I installed the new spark plugs even the last ones were brand new as well. I took the throttle body off this time as well and it got cleaned really well. I also had the positive and negative terminals on the disconnected this time , for an hour. no codes, no rough idling. smooth again.
That is good news.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM

That is gr8 news.

Chris

Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 PM

Yes, always take throttle body off to clean it properly. Glad it's running better.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:39 AM

I had a similar problem, ended up cleaning MAF, throttle body, put a bottle of seafoam into the gas tank and ran one through the intake via the closed off valve on drivers side of intake with a piece of hose. It smokes out the neighborhood every time I do it (every 4-6 months). After that the truck runs smoother, idles better, pulls like brand new. I bet it has something to do with the watered down gas they sell, started using 89 seems to have better power and lasts longer on fill ups.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:55 AM

Had a similar problem related to old gas that coded p300 & p305 till the gas was refreshed with good gas over time.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by groomsxxx
the plugs I took out were the same exact ones. ac delco iridium 41 103. they are trashed now, because when I was checking the gap on them, the center part broke on them as they were so old.
Glad to hear you got it running well again!

But I must comment on the spark plug statement.

Iridium spark plugs are designed to go 100k between changes.

I run them in everything I own, (I have a few vehicles) and have for years without issue.

Your's likely broke due to either using the wrong style gapping tool, wrong style or thinkness of feeler guage, the feeler guage being forced between the 2 electrodes, or twisted placing pressure on the iridium electrode.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Question fixing and messing around with something thats not broken will do it all the time

The plugs you changed are not set up properly..gap wise...did you change the plugs on your own?...cleaning the Maf...?....why????...see these are the things that end up causing problems after you do it...bring it into a reputable mechanic and have him/her fix what you abviously played around with....Good Luck

Quick Reply: Rough Idle - P300 Code