PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 06:36 AM

Looks nice, I see how the tent will fit with no rails. I have not wired the lights in yet but I will post how and when I do it.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:20 PM

The easiest way to run wires from the roof is to either go down the A Pillar or D Pillar in the rear. My roof rack sits behind my sunroof, so I chose to run them down the rear pillar so I didn't have to try and secure the wires along the top. The A pillar removes with 2 small Philips screws in the door jab behind the weather stripping. The rear pillar is only retained by clips so just pull evenly towards the rear of the truck. I drilled a hole in the plastic trip on the back side of the gutter mounts and was able to run the wires down behind the roof rack bracket and they are protected from snags and almost invisible. I was able to mount 3 light bars on the front of my roof rack and 4 on the rear with ZERO holes drilled through metal or into the cab. There are a few threads on going down the A pillar, but I'm not sure about any for the rear. I may have some pictures saved somewhere if you'd like. If you go down the A pillar make sure you run them flat so they don't cause a gap next to the windshield and give you wind noise.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:21 PM

Roof rack looks damn good btw! If you reinforce the roof be sure to post pics

Old 11-02-2018, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hooty-Hoo
Nice looking rack. The Gobi's are so damn expensive so this is a sweet work-around. I bought a flat "utility" rack from Baja Racks a few years back and it's worked out well. Just purchased a roof-top tent so the lack of rails makes that work out perfectly. I'll try using it for the first time this weekend. I'm curious how you routed the light wires into your rig. I need to install a light bar and I'm a little nervous about drilling a hole through the roof.
Very nice. Just classy...

Old 11-09-2018, 11:17 AM

I am going to explore the wiring this weekend. thanks for the information

Old 11-09-2018, 11:18 AM

How should I reinforce the roof??

Old 11-13-2018, 09:58 PM

Looks Nice!

Old 11-14-2018, 05:33 PM

Please post pics when you do the wiring. My rack came with a tray (for a light bar) that swivels up and down behind the front plate along with an actuator. When not in use, the light swivels down to reduce the wind noise. I've been lazy but need to get this done!

Old 11-14-2018, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hooty-Hoo
Please post pics when you do the wiring. My rack came with a tray (for a light bar) that swivels up and down behind the front plate along with an actuator. When not in use, the light swivels down to reduce the wind noise. I've been lazy but need to get this done!
What roof rack is that? Sounds pretty high tech. Are you wanting to run them down the front or rear pillar? I can post pics tomorrow

Old 11-15-2018, 01:58 PM

I bought my rack from Baja Racks in southern California. They didn't have a rack made for the H3 but they did have one for the FJ. I traded emails with one of their folks and after bugging them enough, they made an H3 version. I had them send it to me unfinished because I wanted it powdercoated white and my brother has a powdercoat shop here in Phoenix. I looked on Baja Racks' website recently and didn't see an H3 option so I don't know how many they made. Maybe mine is the only one? who knows. Anyway, I'll probably go down the front pillar with the wires. I may install some small lights on the back but I'd probably run the lights to the front to reduce the hassle factor of doing them separately.