PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Roof Marker Lights (New Version?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Default RE: Roof Marker Lights (New Version?)

Some wiring Pics:

[IMG]local://upfiles/3007/DF54ED2A2DF34F1EA08D27EFF86D3B2D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3007/A08ED30DC7C74838854A3B4B6E4002B3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3007/9B2CBCA789C24D84972AA3943A56467E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3007/6EA45ACBC7E549A8AE44D22F013B03A2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-11-2007, 04:43 PM

i like that as well,although i would like something different,i think i will fiberglass me up one,maybe w/ 2 kc's or something in it,not sure,im really big on making my own stuff

Old 09-12-2007, 09:38 AM

That'd be cool Hilljob. Post some pics if you get something on.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:58 AM

[IMG]local://upfiles/3007/B752700C1D824AA4849BD5AD0F66801C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 AM

Damn it.... every time I look at this thread I get the urge to do it myself, $695 installed doesn't sound too bad for a $400 part but frankly I think the labor is what it is but the price of the cab light is just insane. IMO I think the individual lights look better than the one piece set from GM.

I'd love to do the rear cab lights too, that looks less painful than doing the front set. The biggest problem that I see isn't drilling the holes, I'm sure if you buy the "kit" from GM you still have some holes to drill anyway, I see the hard part being getting the wiring harness through the cab roof and not damaging the headliner.

From the pics posted I don't see how the wiring harness was installed on the individual Pacer 5 piece Chevy style cab lights from the lights down to the windshield pillar.

Hey Gunner, you and I are in similar situations, being a little nervous about drilling into the hummer roof. If you want to pull the trigger on "rolling our own" I'd be willing to spend a day with you and we can do both of our trucks together.

I guess I need to get the word document from Z on how the rear lamps were installed and ask Surftrish to share how the front cab light wiring was handled.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:21 PM

Your right about having to drill holes with the kit form GM, actually the holes for that need to be MUCH bigger. The good thing about the kit is it gives you someplace to run the wires without having to run them inside the headliner. You just run them under the kit and then down the pillar, very simple.
The first couple of holes I drilled were he toughest. I drilled all the holes in the front first and I didn't realize how stressed I was until I tried to put the first screw in and realized how much I was shaking.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1329/66280CB255AA4468907E5E18B3A08BC0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1329/3F7545E979254B47AEAFB82329AD7BA2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1329/7A89E62F2C914C35B321890AA11C46A3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-12-2007, 01:00 PM

well,when i finally get mine done,i am hoping that the only hole i will have to drill will be under the plastic on the sides of the roof,i too do not want to drill through the top,that double sticky tape they use for the vent visors is some really good stuff,maybe that can aid in attaching the center of it

Old 09-12-2007, 03:26 PM

Hey Bonzaii, your ride looks pretty tight. I like the way you did the offroad light option and adapted the cab lights to it, that may be an option, the dual light bar is a bit cheaper than the cab light bar, kinda odd, I'd think the bigger lights would cost more than the little LED cab lights. I want to add additional lights, was thinking about adding some to my new brushguard but the good ones are around 200-300 range. Maybe I can apply that towards the offroad light bar you have then add the cab lights to that. Sounds like a lot less trouble than going through the cab and running wire inside the headliner and inner pillar.

If I went with the off road ights bar like you did I'd probably install 3 lights between the two road lights and two more on the outside (to me 5 lights look right). From the photos which are prretty small I can't tell if you have 3 or 5 lights on the rear. I can only see three, is that what you did or are the other two hidden from the camera view?

Can someone tell me how much trouble it is to run the wiring of cab lights between the roof and headliner and how do you get it down the pillar without any grief?

Old 09-12-2007, 04:47 PM

HD, the wiring of the individual lights thru the headliner isnt too bad. Before drilling up top, I took off the side pilars, bent the rear view mirror down and out of the way, and took off the sun visors. This left enough space in the front of the headliner to work. Then I drilled the 1/8 inch holes, watersealed them, stuck the wire through to the headliner, and screwed the light base down. Inside, I just reached up near the windshield, grabed the hanging wires, tied them in together and ran them down the pilar.

I feel good that every light is grounded directly to the body, every hole completly closed and waterproofed, and each individual light solidly attached. And if anything goes wrong, I still have access.

The only thing is it does look stock. I'M interested in seeing what some of the guys in her come up with for original creations.... like Bonzaiiis rig. Nice originality... PS: I had some shake too...

Old 09-12-2007, 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: HUMMER DRIVER

Hey Gunner, you and I are in similar situations, being a little nervous about drilling into the hummer roof. If you want to pull the trigger on "rolling our own" I'd be willing to spend a day with you and we can do both of our trucks together.

I guess I need to get the word document from Z on how the rear lamps were installed and ask Surftrish to share how the front cab light wiring was handled.
Let me get it back and some of the new worn off it before I go drilling it up.......

But that is a good idea about getting together to do it...A second set of eyes and some moral support never hurts anything.....

Quick Reply: Roof Marker Lights (New Version?)