PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

roof marker lights (06)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Default roof marker lights (06)

posted this in the Hummer forum under general but it'd be better served here:

hi all, new here, found you guys while searching for a fix...

I have an 06 h3 lux Boulder grey, tinted windows and KBC SPY wheels wearing some nitto terra grapplers.... but....

the story begins.... I bought the H3 about a month ago, with a small chip in the windshield...no biggy, worked a deal for x amount off and the dealer said they'd toss in a new one...cool....or not so cool as it were.

couple of weeks later the windshield guy and i head to my H3 to proceed in the removal of what seems like half the truck[:@]... only to get to the roof markers, popped the bolt covers, attempted to remove the bolts only to find out that 3 of the 6 just spin in thier holes, I.E. the bolt AND the nut are turning. OK, this is not in mr windshield guy's job description so he baggs the project and tells me to bring the 3 to the dealer....fine....or so i thought.

Now, it was at the dealer for a week, yeah, a week, apearantly 6 bolts and a windshield is rocket science and they needed to fly someone in from NASA...i dunno, they said they had to drill out the bolts...dont ask, i dont know how you can drill out a bolt that just free spins....anyway, they destroyed 3 of the 6 bolts and said they replaced the molly type fasteners in the roof....however they could not get th right bolts from hummer to re affix the bar....uh huh..... Apearantly these bolts are made of unobtanium...I dunno. So today they said the bolts came in and it's done.... uh huh....

on day 7, today I go to pick up my 3 with new windshield and secured lightbar....great, it's a good day tater.....but no, at 60 mph, my roof went into the vibration from hell, sounded like a buncha chicks with vibrators in my headliner..... i knew imeadiatly that it was the lightbar, no biggy, but alas, they monkeyfu@*ed my bar...... i cannot tighten up the 2 center bolts any tighter, one is what seems to be glued in...????? wtf???

does anyone on the foum have a pic of what the in roof fasteners look like for this kit? i swear the dealer just smeared some adheseive in te holes and attempted to secure it....3 of the 6 bolts are of a different size torx head.... the bar has dings from where they butchered the bolts off and now,the vibrator effect....

can i just run a bead of silicone accross the gap? anyone tried this? also any trick to getting the pillar trim to fit tighter?

i go back to the stealer tommorrow to blow a gasket, i'm just leery of leaving it again in the hands of the Special Ed auto shop class so if i can perform the fix myself, without elmers glue and duct tape like the dealer, i'd do it.

i'd like to know what the blts screw into first.... i'd imagine some type of expanding nut, and any tips on reducing vibrations if i cannot get the issue resolved through the corky's auto repair and window licking..

I seriously want to crack some skulls at the dealer....sigh....

thanks for your time
O

Old 05-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Default RE: roof marker lights (06)

The bolts screw into rivnuts (the expanding nut). You need to get the bolts that are in there out. Then get a rivnut tool (it looks like a threaded rod with a nut on it, and a nut on the end of the rod) and tighten up the rivnuts... not too tight. You may want to put a small bead around the rivnut were it meets the roof. Then replace the bolts with new ones and use anti sieze on the threads... don't over tighten the bolts, either. And, whatever you do, stay away from the dealer!!!

Post up on the other forums and do searches. There are pictures of these being installed so you will have an idea of what I'm talking about. You can fix this yourself.... Good luck!!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:04 PM

put a small bead of silicone around the rivnut where it meets the roof....

Old 05-08-2008, 07:01 AM

Do you have another dealer in your area that you can go to? They have to fix the problem to your satisfaction, also they should give you a loaner while they are working on your H3.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:08 AM

thanks guys i'm heading o the stealer now..... if anyone sees a mushroom cloud over south NJ it's just me

Old 05-08-2008, 12:49 PM

Where do you live, are you going to the Turnersville Auto Mall brand new Hummer Dealer? I live behind them, I've been going to them for the last two years and have never had a problem with them.
ALSO and they just installed my roof marker lights abouta month ago, mine have beem just fine.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:10 AM

hey trey, i'm in Cape may and bought my 3 from Burke motor group...they dont sell hummers....imagine that. they've been on the phone with turnersville for a week.. heh.... they agreed to replace my lightbar and the 2A pillar trim pieces because they busted the tabs off the a pillar trim and well, they hamfisted the light bar off.....

this was just supposed to be a replacment windshield..... in the future, i will only go to turnersville.

for now, i have a one inch strip of gorilla tape accross the bar.... looks sweeet! duct tape rocks!

the best part was having the sevice mgr and the window licker that worked on my truck standing there, heads hung low, as i reamed them both out..... it was like scolding my kid.... only better....

Old 05-09-2008, 03:37 PM

Hey M3H3 you may want to hold off on going to the Hummer Dealer, I do get first class service from the guys there. But I have had an ongoing sunroof/roof rack leak that they can't seem to fix. See the thread under 'Old leaky" in the H3 section. However I can't say enough good things about them whenever I had regular service there or when I got my roof marker lights put on by them. They always give me a loaner car free of charge whenever I buy my mods from them and get them installed there. As for the new tires I let them put them on and I didn't even buy them for there, they again gave me a loaner.Am I getting special treatment because I bought 2 H3s or if it is becuase I had this leak problem from them I don't know.
But I would still try them once and see if they can fix your problem or even handle you properly, they are very professional there.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't end up getting what you want from Turnersville let me know... I'm in Margate and I have all the stuff you need to do those lights correctly...

I even custom installed rear lights on a 3 for a forum member...
https://www.hummerforums.com/m_162008/tm.htm

Old 05-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

And probably could make a good living traveling around to dealers showing them how to do it right.

Quick Reply: roof marker lights (06)