PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

rims and tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by rsc
I would worry about the weight difference between rim sizes. You could go from a 16" rim to 20" and pretty easily gain 10 lbs of rotating mass not including the weight of the wheel. I thought about it before and an 18" rim seems like it would be a good compromise on Duratracs. Just a little bigger visually, still passable offroad if you take it easy and still fairly light.
I went from a 16" rim to a 20" rim and perhaps I easily gained 10 lbs of rotating mass, but it changed the look and attitude of my H3 100%. I probably lost a LITTLE acceleration, pay a LITTLE more for fuel, and lost a LITTLE braking performance but am a LOT happier owning and driving my Hummer. I understand that many owners like the look of their stock wheels, the on- and off-road benefits of more tire sidewall, and the performance effects of increasing the vehicle's unsprung weight, but I guess like almost every topic on here it comes down to personal priority. To each his own and all that... I'm just offering the viewpoint of someone who prioritizes looks above the relatively minor (IMHO) cons of heavier rims. If you are of a similar mind, 09hemi, rest assured you will not regret buying the rims you feel look the best, regardless of their mass.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:55 AM

I run the XD Spys in 18s with 295/70 trail grapplers on my I5, and they are way to heavy. they have killed my fuel mileage, and power when trying to climb hills on the interstate. I have also spent a nice chunk of change on motor upgrades and still have the power issues, but if you offroad it, XDs are the only way to go.