PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Default RE: Rims

ORIGINAL: Gunner_45

Just one bit of advice.....Make sure you see the rims in person. Do not trust the slicks in
catalogs and/or on the internet. A cast wheel might look good in a pic, but not hold up
to your scrutiny in person. I found that out with some Moto Metal wheels I was lusting for.
In the real world, they simply did not have the DETAIL that was represented in the
sales pics. It may sound stupid, but I've seen a lot of guys trying to save a buck,
mail ordering wheels, that were ultimately disappointed once the box was opened.

Gunner makes a real good point. I could have saved a good deal of money by ordering off the net but I decided to use a local tire shop for a couple of reasons: 1) in my opinion, the wheel/tire combo I was wanting to go with was a little more radical then most I have seen. Most that have been installing off-road tires on this forum have been sticking with their stock rims. And the few that have gone with wheel/tire combo's, such as Importkiller (who was most helpful to me) and now Wolfgangsta are actually setting the learning curve on what set-ups will fit. 2) Most tire shops will work with you. By that I mean, that if a set-up doesn't work they will be willing to change to a different tire or get a different offset rim for you. 3) I've also seem rims show up with blemishes and brand new tires with loose belts that can't be balanced and have to be replaced and didn't want the hassle of having to send things back for whatever reason.

Just my two cent$.

BTW, those are good looking rims!

Old 02-13-2007, 09:30 AM

check out this link you can actually see what they will look like on you ride

http://www.wheelswest.ca/search.htm

Old 02-13-2007, 01:03 PM

ORIGINAL: azz7772

check out this link you can actually see what they will look like on you ride

http://www.wheelswest.ca/search.htm

I've been messing around on the website checking out different rims. They are supposed to give me a quote on a set. Good site.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:32 PM

[/quote]

and now Wolfgangsta are actually setting the learning curve on what set-ups will fit.

[/quote]

Thanks! With my HUGE tire/rim set up (according to most people's standard) I'm wondering why everyone was so concerned with a 35" tire fitting....and the fact that most people using a 35" tire were having slight rubbing problems. Where exactly do they rub? Or, I guess I should say, where are they supposed to rub? I'm wondering if the offesets used by others are what is actually creating the rubbing. I could see how someone using an offset of less than +35 would possibly make a tire rub on the inside of the fender well. (Example: Drivers side front tire, turned all the way to the left....the outer part of the tire could hit the fenderwell if you were using an offest of less than +35, because that would be pushing the tire "outward" away from the vehicle.) Doesn't importkiller and a few others use offesets around +13 or so?

I'm just trying to figure out why so many people here are afraid of the 35" tiresand/or have slight rubbing issues and/or have to use spacers when I've bolted up a set and nothing's touching and it all works/looks great withouot the bow-legged look. Again, I'm using a +35 offset which is close to the stock +38 and I'm running a 9.5" wide rim with a 325/50-22 tire. (T-Bars turned 3 turns and then aligned at dealership)

Here's a couple more pics to give those who want to know an idea of what 22" rims look like with 325/50-22 Terra Grapplers on a NON-LIFTED H3 with 3 turns on the T-bars...it's close, but no rubbing.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:40 PM

I see you have assumed the proper parking lot parking position..

Wheels and tires look great!!

Old 02-13-2007, 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Funny you mention that....my wife is now used to being "dropped off at the door" when we go to any store now. She knows if she doesn't start pulling on the door handle when we drive by the entrance, she's in for a long hike! I just can't bring myself to park anywhere near the idiots with kids who like to fling their doors open as far as they go....no matter what's in the way! I picked up this terrible addiction to parking out in no-mans-land with my past Cobra's.....and it's obviously carried over to my H3!

Old 02-13-2007, 02:50 PM

Looks very sharp. Love the rims...I might get the chrome 20" version.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:57 PM

wolf...people who throw on 35" tires on stock rims are rubbing at full lock onto the coltrol arms. I am at +12 offset and have a wide 35" tire setup and have no rubbing issues at all. You also have to remember that because you have big rims/small sidewall tires that your tires will not bulge out like a typical 35"x12.5x16 will. the tire bulge on a 35x12.5x16 could be more than an inch depending on tire pressure, this is what causes the rubbing in most cases.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: WOLFGANGSTA

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Funny you mention that....my wife is now used to being "dropped off at the door" when we go to any store now. She knows if she doesn't start pulling on the door handle when we drive by the entrance, she's in for a long hike! I just can't bring myself to park anywhere near the idiots with kids who like to fling their doors open as far as they go....no matter what's in the way! I picked up this terrible addiction to parking out in no-mans-land with my past Cobra's.....and it's obviously carried over to my H3!

soooooooo you are saying it is heart smart to own a hummer [8D]

Old 02-14-2007, 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: WOLFGANGSTA

and now Wolfgangsta are actually setting the learning curve on what set-ups will fit.

[/quote]

Thanks! With my HUGE tire/rim set up (according to most people's standard) I'm wondering why everyone was so concerned with a 35" tire fitting....and the fact that most people using a 35" tire were having slight rubbing problems. Where exactly do they rub? Or, I guess I should say, where are they supposed to rub? I'm wondering if the offesets used by others are what is actually creating the rubbing. I could see how someone using an offset of less than +35 would possibly make a tire rub on the inside of the fender well. (Example: Drivers side front tire, turned all the way to the left....the outer part of the tire could hit the fenderwell if you were using an offest of less than +35, because that would be pushing the tire "outward" away from the vehicle.) Doesn't importkiller and a few others use offesets around +13 or so?

I'm just trying to figure out why so many people here are afraid of the 35" tires and/or have slight rubbing issues and/or have to use spacers when I've bolted up a set and nothing's touching and it all works/looks great withouot the bow-legged look. Again, I'm using a +35 offset which is close to the stock +38 and I'm running a 9.5" wide rim with a 325/50-22 tire. (T-Bars turned 3 turns and then aligned at dealership)

Here's a couple more pics to give those who want to know an idea of what 22" rims look like with 325/50-22 Terra Grapplers on a NON-LIFTED H3 with 3 turns on the T-bars...it's close, but no rubbing.

[/quote]

Dude, can I borrow one of your rims this summer? Maybe the spare so I can lay it on it's side, line it and fill it with water and then have a swimming pool to chillax in all summer long?