PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

right wheel thump

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Default right wheel thump

Hello,

I have been trying to find a problem similar to mine but havent yet found one just like this. For the last 10k miles or so i have been getting a thump thump thump noise from what sounds like the front right wheel, but only when turning right. It sounds like it could be in pace with the spin of the wheel. It first would only do it when turning at the degree similar to when you are going on and off a freeway ramp. It now does it with much less of a turn, you only need to have the wheel slightly turned to get the noise.

I have taken to the dealer a few times. They said it was normal 4x4 noise the first time, but i didnt buy that because test driving any other H3 i did not get this noise. Next visit the the dealer they said the tire was getting choppy and needed to be rotated, which I had them do. Noise was still there, so I recently took to another dealer who said they also didnt hear anything out of the norm. I have an appt. monday to take to the first dealer again, and go on a test ride with the technician to demonstrate the issue.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? My warranty is up in about 5k miles so I wanted to try to get this resolved while in the warranty period. Again only when turning right. Going straight or left no sounds.

Thanks a lot.

Josh

Old 11-24-2007, 12:01 AM
Default RE: right wheel thump

maybe a half shaft,but that usually clicks,could be a bad hub

Old 11-24-2007, 12:16 AM

check the cvoint boot, see if it's leaking...a bad cv-joint will cause a thumping sound. Does the truck lurch when turning, like your stuck in 4lock and not normal everyday 4high?

Old 11-24-2007, 01:38 AM

Yes, Check for grease within the whell well around the CV joint, Also you might have bad ball joint or wheel bearing. An easy way to check the wheel bearing is to Jack up the problem side abour 2-4 inches off the ground, Be careful and chock your opposite rear wheel an keep any body parts out from under the vehicle. Now move the wheel East to West and see if you feel a clicking or unusual movement (1/4 "). Next while you have that side up take a crowbar or Breaker bar or pipe and make sure the wheel is straight and slide the pipe under the wheel centered on the wheel, be careful because the wheel could spin on you, now bring the pipe up like a lever and pull up into the wheel and see if it clicks or move. NOT a like a Shock movement, it will be only like 1/4 " type clicking.Check your Tie-Rod ends as well and also this is simple but your Lug nuts as well.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:07 AM

Thanks for all the input. I checked an no grease leaks. I took to dealer yesterday and finally got them to really hear the problem. They tried pulling the stearing column and regreasing it, but it still made the noise so they replaced the stearing column and now the noise appears to be gone. i will update if it comes back.

As a side note, i pulled out of the dealer and ran over a screw, so now i have to go get my tire leak fixed. [:@]

Old 11-27-2007, 12:38 PM

amazing.........someplace nobody even thought of