PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Request Thoughts PRIOR To Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Arrow Request Thoughts PRIOR To Purchase

Hello everyone - I am considering the purchase of either an H2 or H3, but am having a heck of a time making up my mind. Currently, I have a 2002 Ford F350 SD Crew 4x4 with the 7.3 ltr diesel. Now I already know that if I go with the H3 that the I-5 does not have the oomph that my 7.3 has but on the same token I currently only get 10.7 / 12.8 mpg. My concern is purchasing one or the other and regretting it (and please don't say just buy one of each - I would if I just won a lottery but that's not the case yet). I am also in a Search & Rescue unit in the Pacific NW & am looking for something to help with that. I have read that the H3 has an incredible turning radius as well as being able to do everything that the H2 can do but something about the H3 being able to do everything that the H2 can do just doesn't sit right with me. If it can do everything it's predecessor could do why would GM build it - Just to have it smaller? Production costs would prohibit that.

I guess what I am requesting are owner's thoughts on the two units. Yes, I have driven both of them and am thoroughly surprised with the ride (compared to the H1's some 15+ years ago). I was also surprised that the H3 has more head room than the H2, but that's not a deal breaker here.

Any/All input here would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

You did not let us know if you where gonna buy new or used? You can get a 2008 H3 and after with the LH8 V8 if you think you just gotta.

Actually you got it backwards, no offense intended to the 2 owners, an H2 can do almost everything that an H3 can do. Smaller, more maneuverable, and for 2009, front and rear factory lockers makes it the most capable off road machine GM ever built.

The I5 is pleanty (unless you plan on major trailering) and with a few mods it will run with most full sized V8 pick ups on road, and out wheel them off the pavement.

Welcome to the forums!!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:47 PM

Doc Olds,

Thanks for the reply - For the price range I am looking at used... Really? The H3 is the more capable unit between the two? Are the approach/departure angles the same on the H3 as they are in the H2? I see that the H2 has a +2 degree increase in it's angle of approach/departure - does that make much of a difference? Granted I am not going to be towing anything greater than 5K lbs (or even 4K for that matter - got rid of the boat last Summer), but if the H3 is the 'more capable' of the two why are there so many H3's in the secondary market right now as opposed to the H2's? I apologize for all of the questions, but I am just nervous as heck on picking the wrong one.

Dare I ask - what are the mpg's for each?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:17 PM

My first Hummer experince was an I5 H3 rental in Dallas. I was hooked after that. A few months later I bought an 08 H3 Alfa. My opinion is you need a V8 for such a heavy truck. I loved the truck but started noticing other Hummers on the road and took a liking to the H2 SUT. Couldn't resist and switched to an 08 H2 SUT lux. Glad I did. I would never go back! I like the power of the 6.2l they added in 08. I like the redesign of the interior too.

Mpg is not an issue with me but, I did check the hwy mileage on a long road trip with the H3 Alpha and averaged 16.7 mpg. Never checked city. The computer on my H2 typically shows 13-13.5 mpg city. Don't have any hwy numbers.

Name:  Spring09a.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  72.5 KB

Old 04-27-2009, 05:23 PM

Just my 2cents worth but the last two vehicles i owned were Ford Excursions,similar to your super duty. both were Diesels,an 01 with the 7.3 and an 05 with the 6-0. i will never own a diesel for a personal vehicle again. as long as you dont start with oversized tires, the power is fine with the 5cyl. at least with my 09. My H3 is probably the best new vehicle purchase i have made

Old 04-28-2009, 11:11 AM

Thank you everyone for your input - I have decided on the H3. I will post pix as soon as I can.

Cheers, Richard

Old 04-28-2009, 06:19 PM

I went from full size 2007 crew cab Silverado Z71 to the H3. I like the H3. It is easier to park and maneuver. I'm a big guy and am just as comfortable in the H3. I thought about an H2 SUT, but I drive alot (25k per year) so mileage was a big factor for me. I really don't tow so that wasn't an issue.