PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Replacement soft top

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:34 AM
Default Replacement soft top

Just purchased my first H1, 1995 soft top diesel. My first question to you all is where can I get a replacement soft top for it? The one I have now is tan and I want to switch to black.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Replacement soft top

They are expensive. I see them on Ebay every now and then. Kascar, Adventure Accessories all sell them. I have not looked for a great source for them since I have wagons. Someone will have info on this.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:55 AM

I talked to Mike S at Tustin Hummer about this lately and he said you can still order them new from AMG for about $1200 if I remember correctly. I just bought a used one for a few hundred buck (needs a little tlc) for my 97.5 from a gent on the hml. Nobody else really carries the older style tops anymore, the one's Kascar has are for '98 and later and I think they are $800 with the rear curtan/window. You can update your truck (several have done this) to use the newer style but it's a bit of work and maybe a grand or more in parts plus the top (maybe $2k plus labor for finished product?).

Call Mike for questions -- I don't have his # on me now but just look up Tustin Hummer and ask for Mike Sabrese.

good luck
Ron

Old 03-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

714-669-3699 is Mike's number

Old 03-14-2008, 02:36 PM

check kascar real4wd.com they selling insulated ones for 98+ for 400$ .... im sure they have pre 98 as well

Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 PM

Thank you all for your help. Not easy to find stuff for the H1. How about headers and exhaust (bolt on). I have the non turbo charged diesel.

Again, thanks for the help.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:21 PM

You could try using black dye, to dye te top you have now black. this could get very messy though and if you dont do it right/evenly it could come out bad, but if your about to buy a new top anyway, it might no be a bad idea just to give it a shot.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: newbeeh1owner

Thank you all for your help. Not easy to find stuff for the H1. How about headers and exhaust (bolt on). I have the non turbo charged diesel.

Again, thanks for the help.

headers and exhaust can be gotten from any AMG Dealer like Lynch of Bluehummer etc. I believe or you can go with a performance 4" exhaust which I am planning to do in the near future...
At kascar the top for 98 and up is $400 then another $100 for rear curtain but you will need to upgrade your softtop mount to the newer style(might be worth it in the long run). Another option, which I am considering is look for a local Soft Top/Boat Cover fabricator and get them to make you one... I plan on doing this to get a non insulated top made for my 98 that I can simply roll up and secure to my windshield frame... Since I own a calgold hardtop I dont require insulated top and would prefer one that is easily removed and stored.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:09 PM

I would love to get a roof fabbed that could be easily removed -- I miss the security. But I'm pretty sure I could have one milled out of a solid peice of aluminum for what Cal Gold charges ($5k for the roof and back window). You are lucky you picked yours up on the cheap and not new.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:25 PM

ORIGINAL: ronb

I would love to get a roof fabbed that could be easily removed -- I miss the security. But I'm pretty sure I could have one milled out of a solid peice of aluminum for what Cal Gold charges ($5k for the roof and back window). You are lucky you picked yours up on the cheap and not new.
Yeah no doubt. I really wanted one but could not see the logic in spending $5000 on it then paying for shipping then paying for customs and duties on $5000 as well.
As for roof fabbed I am going with a softtop and I see that various places charge 1200 etc for the bikini top... I am all about supporting our accessory dealers etc but again I dont see the logic in paying that amount etc... Also I hate getting hit with whatever the taxes are on the given day it comes into canada and broker fees etc. Also I have heard that some of them leak during hard rain so I figure if I get it made local if I have any problems with it I can easily get it fixed from the manufacturer with limited delay etc etc. And once I do this I hope to transfer similar savings from the border costs to my fellow canadians