PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

replaced evap solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:22 AM
Default replaced evap solenoid

Story starts with my gas cap warning going off several months ago. Which prompted me to have my buddy check the codes just to make sure I would be chasing the correct problem. Dont remember the exact code I was throwing but I ended up replacing the gas cap with an factory cap. Problem fixed! Warning vanished and I thought I was smooth sailing. Not so much.

Round two. Check engine light comes on. Check the codes again and turns out I now have an error in the emissions system. (By the way I live in one of the few counties in Indiana that still check emissions) After doing a little thinking and research on the site I decided the evap solenoid would be my first try. My goal was to remove as little as possible to change it. On my I5 its located just below the fuel rail which is on the driver side. Ended up having to take off the battery and battery case. This gave me enough clearance to get my hand in there to unclip everything. Two hoses and one electrical clip. Not the easiest thing to reach but not horrible.

CEL light is now off and I am not throwing any codes. I consider myself lucky to get away this easy.

Just wanted to share about a problem I know a few others have also come across. BTW the solenoid from GM was about $45.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:47 AM

Had the same problem on a 2006 Chevy Impala SS. Apparently this was a common issue for GM. I have not yet had it on my 06 H3, but I half expect it will be coming down the pike. Thanks for the insight!

Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Unhappy

Thanks for this information italia147, I recently posted a question about the gas cap issue and sounds like I'm going down a similar trail as you. Dealer said the smoke test showed a cap leak so they put a new one on and reset CEL but now a few weeks later CEL on having a EVAP code again (P0455) listing the new gas cap and solenoid as a possible causes again. Now makes me wonder how can a gas cap and solenoid both fail within a month of each other?

Old 09-02-2010, 12:41 PM

As a followup wanted to post my problem was solved by dealer, the P0455 code continued to alert FUEL CAP then minutes later CEL remained on, this was after previously having dealer replace the gas cap. Now another smoke test found Vent Valve leaking (valve sticking) so it was replaced, part was $178. This valve is located near the canister.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:37 AM

Well the problem decided to come back and prove that I only had a short term fix. I will probably go after the vent valve first. I'm not even sure where it is on the h3. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. It would be my first time changing one. Thanks

Old 10-31-2010, 10:05 PM

the part replaced on my H3 was in the located in vehicle rear outside emissions canister. scroll down to diagram on this thread http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=39100

look at the rectangular box, see the round canister to the left? the hose leading into that round canister from the front then along the front and hooks into right was what the dealer replaced. Evidently like I said in there somewhere is the Vent Valve that was sticking. Probably a simple fix if your handy like that. Part was $178 labor $156. Good luck. Remember once CEL's are cleared the engine computer recycles and later the CEL will come back on if the problem still exists.