PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Removing scuffs from plastic interior

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Default RE: Removing scuffs from plastic interior

HAHA correct. No wool on teh headlights.

BUT 000 Steel Wool on the windshield works great for removing and cleaning all the road grime....you have to keep the windshield wet too. Dry? It will scratch.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

Good on RJ.

How about what to use on the interior's plastic surfaces to remove deep scratches??? Like the kind from hauling landscape rocks and field stone? [&o]

I have some deep scratches (ok maybe a gouge or two)in the back cargo area, through the plastic color, I have tried some permenant marker, but I think I am gonna have to resort to touching them up with some plastic paint, or interior paint. Any ideas gang?
RATTLE CAN!!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:28 PM

I had an interior trim panel on my 2006 Sierra that I took to an automotive paint shop (GNE paints...now defunct in Rochester MI) and they matched the color perfectly with some interior trim paint.&nbsp\\; I put the paint in my mini badger airbrush and painted my entire map pocket (scuffed from my feet)....it didn't totally fill the scratches (depthwise) but it sure made them a lot less noticeable.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:06 AM

If you want to clear the haze off plastic headlights, plexiglass or other plastics here is a link to check out.

http://www.wikihow.com/Repair-Oxidiz...dlight-Cleaner

I clean clear plastic/plexiglass about once a month on the lens covers of a police light bar that is getting old. Here are a few things I have found.

-Any quality plastic polish will work, you don't really need to spend a fortune. I use the Novus 1-2-3 polish, the Meguiar's plastic polish or Walmart even has some polish in a yellow bottle (forget the name) that works. The Novus is a bit pricey, thats why I use other stuff more often.
-Clean the plastic first with a cloth and plastic cleaner. I recommend against sanding right away.
-After cleaning the plastic, check it closely and see just how bad it is. If it has major scratches or deep gouges, you may not want to waste your time. You will have nice looking plastic with scratches in it.
-I pretty much start my sanding (if needed) with 2000 grit sandpaper after I clean it, but if you want you can step down and go 600/1000/2000 but that is to much work in my opinion. If it's that bad, replace it. If it is really expensive to replace then go for it.
-Stay away from fast polishing equipment, drill attachments that polish, etc. If you use something that spins to fast or puts to much pressure, YOU WILL MELT THE PLASTIC and ruin it. If you want to save a little elbow grease, apply the polish and use a drill set super low and lightly touch the plastic as it spins. I find the little pads you get at walmart that go on the end of a drillbit/polish combo works ok, but again I do it at very low speed to prevent heatup.

Rob