PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Refueling Problem at the Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Default Refueling Problem at the Pump

Has anyone had any problems refueling at the gas pump? You know how the gas pump will automatically shut-off when your tank is full, or when the fuel reaches the nozzle?... Ok so when I am pumping gas i can only get about a gallon through before it shuts off, and this is with an empty or near empty tank, at all gas stations all the time. I try moving the gas nozzle around in and out as to keep it splashing and shutting the pump off, but no matter it still trips the shut off on the pump handle.

So here is the other weird part. It seems like the fuel is not flowing into the tank and backing all the way up to the gas pump nozzle and shuts it off. I'll pull the handle out and i can hear the fuel gurgling down into the tank and then i start all over again getting a gallon or so in at a time. Now i have tried lightly squeezing the handle to pump a little at a time thinking that the fuel is splashing back up and causing it to shut off but it either takes me 20 minutes to fill up or it still shuts off.

I called my mechanic and he said that newer vehicles have a smaller tube inside the gas cap tube that prevents somebody from siphoning fuel out of your vehicle and he thinks that the smaller inner tube is kinked or messed up somehow. Im not taking it down till next week and was hoping someone could shed some insight on this issue so maybe i could fix it or bring some more solutions down to my mechanic.

I have about 55,000 miles on my 2007 H3. This has happened a few times before last year and it seems to occur around the colder winter months here in northern PA.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:57 PM

You could have a problem within the filler tube as you stated.
Does this happen with other gas station nozzles ? That would be a simple test to do.
Newer auto shut offs are more sensitive and can easily shut off way before your are filled up. CA has new short rubber seals and they will shut off if you don't make a good seal
I covered this very topic in an earlier post reply
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...733#post239733

Old 01-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Might check the vent tube and make sure it isn't kinked or clogged. That can cause the same issue.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Banned
Default im checking!!

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/sh...733#post239733
im checking at each fillup,sometime just after3-4 gallons and so far ive seen a .1 gal diff in the pumps.
ill report after 20 different pumps.
oh im letting the pump clik,then pulling out and filling to the top.
i had a spread of .1 and .2 gal additional so the diff is .1 so far

tom

Old 01-18-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by wfturner
You could have a problem within the filler tube as you stated.
Does this happen with other gas station nozzles ? That would be a simple test to do.
Newer auto shut offs are more sensitive and can easily shut off way before your are filled up. CA has new short rubber seals and they will shut off if you don't make a good seal
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...733#post239733
I have tried placing the nozzle in every conceivable position to get it to work and I still have the same problem at every single gas station.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 PM

My Jeep Grand Wagoneer did that but worse! I could only get about 10 cents at a time in. When I was at the dealership a couple of weeks ago there was a guy there with his 06 H3 with the same problem. I don't know what they came up with but they were saying fuel line blockage as has been said here.