PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Rear Wheel Fell Off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Default Rear Wheel Fell Off while driving

I bought my H3 about 3 months ago, and I absolutely love it! However, today while pulling out of a restaurant parking lot, my rear passenger wheal fell off. The only thing that I saw was my wheel rolling down the street.

I thought it was pretty strange. After examining the rim/wheel I noticed all six lug nuts seemed to have snapped. It appeared that all the nuts were snug before they snapped, so I was a little confused on how this could happen. Fortunately I was moving at a slow speed or I may have lost control.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I hope that it was a fluke, but I cant help but be a little nervous about the other wheels falling off while I am driving.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Default RE: Rear Wheel Fell Off while driving

confused...are you saying that all the lug nuts broke or did the lugs themselves snap? Not to call bull**** right off the bat on you but I find it strange that you didn't mention any damage as a result of landing on your disk, what had to be replaced?

Old 01-10-2007, 11:53 PM

A four number ZIP code (1234)?..My BullSh!t alarm is going off..

But in all fairness..The lug nuts may have been put on and over torqued...Best loosen and redo the other three and see if you have stressed the nuts and studs.

I'm like Mike..what else did this tire coming off cause in the way of damage?

Old 01-11-2007, 12:03 AM

look at the stud holes in the rim...are the egged shaped
this is a sign of loose lugnuts and will cause the studs to snap

Old 01-11-2007, 12:11 AM

dear lord , if the lug holes in the rim are egg shaped he would have felt or heard something.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:28 AM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

dear lord , if the lug holes in the rim are egg shaped he would have felt or heard something.
not necessarily
i fix alot of them at our shop that people didnt have a clue they were like that ...some people just drive the thing and pay no attention to whats goin on around them

one of them was a good buddy of mine in a avalanche who did his own brake job
cost him alot more than the 135 id charged him for parts, labor and turning the rotors
but ya live and learn

Old 01-11-2007, 12:31 AM

yea I guess some people wouldn't hear it or feel it. I'm the type that can feel if one tire needs air. Flipping a 79 bronco with 42's on it when your axle snaps at 40 mph makes you pay attention more

Old 01-11-2007, 12:37 AM

If the studs snapped, then more than likely it was a result of someone overtightening the lugs with an impact. I cringe everytime I see someone hammering the crap out of some lugs with an impact... especialy when the lug has stopped turning and they just keep hammering it.

As with every bolt, when the nut gets tightened down, there is acertain amount of stretch in the bolt. Too much can cause it to snap off right away, or later, if it has been stressed.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:15 AM

Name:  feedtroll.gif
Views: 283
Size:  1.6 KB

Old 01-11-2007, 09:49 AM

I had a **** head just mount new tire on the rear of my mustang he never tighten the lugs i found one near the house then the other day sound like i blew my rear end but when i took it back to the garage we put it on the lift. Then he starts laughing, f **** head he think im paying for the tires. No damage or they did not fall offand the stud never broke

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Fell Off while driving