PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Rear Tire Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 10:01 PM
Default Rear Tire Carrier

I have a new 05 H2 with the rear tire carrier. I'm not sure If a really like it. I think the H2 with out it looks a bit better. I was wondering if anyone has taken thiers off. And what would you use in the holes that were there for bolting it on.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:24 PM
Default RE: Rear Tire Carrier

At one time I wanted to take my spare out using a new or used spare tire carrier so that I could install a bench style third seat with capability for three more people, but I decided against it because I like the look without the spare tire carrier. I did install the half third seat, but now I need more room, and I have debated just taking out the tire. I like the way my vanity plates look in the middle instead of down to the left side. But to answer your question, I think I've seen in some catalog something to hide those holes. I'll look it up, and if I find it , I'll post it.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:16 AM

Thanks efrain, If you do find it I'd like to take a look at it. I'm not sure if I would take it off. I like a clean sleak look. The rear tire makes the H2 look a bit bulky, if you know what I mean? My tire carrier does have a nice plate mount right in the middle of the tire so it is centered on the back of the truck. I know what you mean, i dont like that off centered , on the bumper look either.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:18 PM

get some 24" spoke wheels, with low profile tires, then it won't show up as much [:'(] nah, on second thought, not a good idea. i kinda like the tire on the back, it helps when you back into a fence, keeps the bus from getting scratched. it does make the rearview mirror relatively useless though, especially now that i've got 37" tires instead of 35". mine was already there, and i like the utility of having easy access. plus the tire mount is a good place to mount a 2-way or cb antenna. i made a custom tire cover for my old spare, with our small business names on it, in leather. doesn't fit the new tires, but gives me an opportunity to make another one now.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:52 PM

Another advantage of having the tire outside on the back is that if a car hits you from behind, it provides extra protection (at least that's what my wife says). But with me, it's out of the question to put it back there because otherwise it would render useless my custom reverse camera in the back. All i would see then would be the spare tire! I guess I'll just not carry the tire at all and take my chances. []

Old 09-24-2005, 02:41 PM

i saw a post on the fuzzy cuddly forum about someone's camera view blocked by the spare, but since mine plugs into the receiver, i still have a good view from it. as for a rear end collision cushion, it would have to be another truck to have the spare do any good. a passenger car would end up going under the bumper and stopping on the hitch, or even going under and stopping on the rear axle. wherever they stopped, that front end wouldn't be very pretty. i can just picture a corvette tucked under the bus to it's windshield, fiberglass and plastic all over the place.

Old 09-25-2005, 12:33 AM

Not a Corvette and not an H2, but picture this:

http://media.putfile.com/Hummer-crash-with-Honda-Civic

lol!! [:@] [:'(]

Old 09-25-2005, 02:12 PM

i saw some stills from that video, that's pretty wild. and what a mess, that honda is unrecognizable

Old 09-26-2005, 01:19 AM

But on second thought, Intercooled, don't just have to put back the D rings on those holes? Maybe the only one you would have to worry about is the one where the license plate bracket goes.

Old 09-26-2005, 01:31 PM

i just went out and looked at mine, and you should be able to simply put the D rings back where the carrier mounts. your carrier's a bit different than mine ('03 ), but i really doubt anything structurally has changed. my license plate is off to the left of the carrier, but the tailgate lights still come on with the headlights, so that should still work. you should just be able to tuck your wiring back through the bumper, just make sure to cap them so they don't short with each other or the frame. that should give you the chance to clean out the mud from behind the tire mounts. i noticed i still have some in there, but it doesn't rain here that often and the car wash folks don't go into that kind of detail.