PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Rear Hatch License Plate Trim Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Default Rear Hatch License Plate Trim Problem

Bros -

My rear hatch trim (for lack of a better phrase) - is coming loose. Specifically, the chrome bar across the top of the plate area, I guess it's the light housing. The left side of it can be pulled away from the hatch.

How do I fix this? Is there a clip or something that is accessible by removing the interior panel?

Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 AM

I have the same problem but on the left isde of the bracket. I discovered that the plastic mount had broke, a little 2-part plastic and it is better.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fireman2020
I have the same problem but on the left isde of the bracket. I discovered that the plastic mount had broke, a little 2-part plastic and it is better.
Sorry, mine is the right side.
That is what I get for reading and typing.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:52 AM

So how did you go about the fix? Through the inside by pulling off the trim panel or what? And what is the part called?

Thanks bro.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:45 AM

I removed the inner panel, took the license plate trim off. Pick up some 2 part epoxy from Home Depot, Lowes, Menard. Mix a small portion of the epoxy just to fit the broken piece back on and let it set to harden. Next, I used a piece of heat shrink tubing, cut a piece just a little shorter than the repair part, cover the part and mix some more epoxy and then fill the gap between the tubing and the broken mount and let sit again. End result, you made a plastic cast.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fireman2020
I removed the inner panel, took the license plate trim off. Pick up some 2 part epoxy from Home Depot, Lowes, Menard. Mix a small portion of the epoxy just to fit the broken piece back on and let it set to harden. Next, I used a piece of heat shrink tubing, cut a piece just a little shorter than the repair part, cover the part and mix some more epoxy and then fill the gap between the tubing and the broken mount and let sit again. End result, you made a plastic cast.

i like your improvising lol

Old 07-13-2013, 04:15 PM

My license plate/latch cover broke also. Rather than repair or replace the broken parts, as I understand this is a common issue, I drilled 3 holes through the plastic and through the metal inside. Then I ran ss 1" bolts with washers and nuts to keep it secure. While not the standard repair I don't thnik I'll have a problem with it again, and the small bolt heads are not noticeable.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by tubacka
My license plate/latch cover broke also. Rather than repair or replace the broken parts, as I understand this is a common issue, I drilled 3 holes through the plastic and through the metal inside. Then I ran ss 1" bolts with washers and nuts to keep it secure. While not the standard repair I don't thnik I'll have a problem with it again, and the small bolt heads are not noticeable.
I did the same thing.........