PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:51 PM

I'm splitting hairs here, but a true posi spins both wheels equally all the time. If you go around a turn, one wheel chatters and jumps around. A limit slip will apply full power to one wheel until it starts to slip. It then applies power to the other wheel. This allows you to take a turn and the outside wheel turns more times then the inside wheel, but in a stright line you get the effect of a true posi with both wheels spining. Hope that makes sense and adds to the conversation, not takes away from it.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by manualman
Posi is limited slip. ARB air locker or Eaton electric locker. That way you have it when you need it, off when you dont
I thought limited slip is when one wheel is the drive wheel and when it loses traction the other wheel will become the drive wheel and posi is where both wheels will both have power and spin at the same time. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 58Bisc
I'm splitting hairs here, but a true posi spins both wheels equally all the time. If you go around a turn, one wheel chatters and jumps around. A limit slip will apply full power to one wheel until it starts to slip. It then applies power to the other wheel. This allows you to take a turn and the outside wheel turns more times then the inside wheel, but in a stright line you get the effect of a true posi with both wheels spining. Hope that makes sense and adds to the conversation, not takes away from it.
It does very much. Thank you it's apparent that all these years I thought posi and limited slip were not what I thought

Old 01-21-2012, 09:05 PM

no....posi..aka...limited slip has clutch packs(friction material) that to an extent link both axles together, however when you make a turn on good solid ground , there is enough force to make the clutches slip to allow inside wheel to turn slower...on "lockers" there are coggs that ratchet and disengage the inside turn axle in effect making it just along for the ride...air and electric are like you think...locked when air or juice is turned on to lock em, totally open diff when off. hope i am making sense.....