PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Default rear differential

Hello everybody,
Has anyone converted their H3 to a posi rear traction yet? and would anyone happen to know how many splines there are for a 2006 H3 Base model? Any comments on how the vehicle handled would be great?

Thanks
Don

Old 12-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Banned

wonder how that pt would work with traction control,or,interfere with it.
doesnt tr cont really do a similar job,maybe better.
i guess you wouldnt want it with a rear locker huh

Old 12-28-2011, 10:58 PM

so you think that posi traction is the same as the traction control?

Old 12-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

I do not think you will find anybody that added posi or limited slip in the rear diff of a 3? These trucks are for wheeling, anybody opening up the rear for an upgrade would go to a locker, no point in a posi.

They do make them for the 10 bolt 8.5/8.6 diff for older GM corp cars/FS pickup guys.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelmonster
so you think that posi traction is the same as the traction control?
Obviously one is gear controlled, the other brake controlled, but both serve the same basic function from an ability to generate traction when one wheel is spinning.
Only difference is the gear driven will lay two scratch marks on dry pavment under hard acceleration, (in a vehicle without the heft of the H3 with the 5 cyl motor that is! )

I don't believe you'd gain any significant increase in off-roadability with a posi vs. the factory traction control system and you'd actually suffer when it comes to icy roads where a posi-trac can be a liability.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
I do not think you will find anybody that added posi or limited slip in the rear diff of a 3? These trucks are for wheeling, anybody opening up the rear for an upgrade would go to a locker, no point in a posi.
X2! Posi or LS woule not be and "upgrade".

Old 01-16-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds

They do make them for the 10 bolt 8.5/8.6 diff for older GM corp cars/FS pickup guys.
Thank you, I thought my H3 was already limited slip, and the price for an e-locker looked to be around $300 compared to the posi. I guess I have to make a decision and go with it. Do you see any issues with the e-locker vs. the posi?

Old 01-17-2012, 03:03 AM

Why would someone put a posi in a off road vehicle. I want 3 wheel drive if I can't have real 4wheel drive

Old 01-17-2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by manualman
Why would someone put a posi in a off road vehicle. I want 3 wheel drive if I can't have real 4wheel drive
So you think limited slip in the rear would be better? Isn't that what some H3 come with?

Old 01-17-2012, 08:02 AM

Posi is limited slip. ARB air locker or Eaton electric locker. That way you have it when you need it, off when you dont

Quick Reply: rear differential