PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Rear diff lock question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Default Rear diff lock question

Hello Again,
I've got a small question regarding the rear diff lock in the H3 (mine is 2007 Lux).

Before the H3, I had an ISUZU rodeo with both front and rear Diff locks (ARB). On many locations ,which involve rock climbing, I had to operate both the diff locks in order to pass.

Now after almost 5 months with my H3, I noticed something strange. I can pass hard places just using the traction control. When I operate the rear diff lock, it seems even to interfere with the H3 operation.

It actually seems that the rear diff lock is not necessary at all.

Any similar experience?

Old 08-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Default RE: Rear diff lock question

if you get one of the rear wheels up in the air and its light on the opposite front wheel without the locker on.. it will tend to sit there... traction control will do its best to get you through and in some situations, it will be just fine...

however, with the locker, you wont stop, it will keep moving..

thats my experience when i drove over these:

Name:  DSC00820.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  301.0 KB

Old 08-31-2007, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Need more info. You said H3 Lux. In North America, only the Adventure has the locker, but you can get an Adventure with Lux package. Do you have two buttons to the right of the 4 hi/ 4 lock/ 4/lowthat shows 4 tires and an "X" between the rear set, and then the vehicle with the squiggly lines??

Old 08-31-2007, 11:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

Need more info. You said H3 Lux. In North America, only the Adventure has the locker, but you can get an Adventure with Lux package. Do you have two buttons to the right of the 4 hi/ 4 lock/ 4/lowthat shows 4 tires and an "X" between the rear set, and then the vehicle with the squiggly lines??
Good point.. wasn't thinking...

Here is the dash of a H3 without the locker.

Here is one with the locker. (Notice the button to the left of the traction control)

Old 08-31-2007, 12:07 PM

Here (Israel) we have only 2 models:

1. Adventure - comes with regular seats (non leather), and with only traction control

2. Lux - Comes with leather seats, Sun roof and rear diff lock.

to Lock the rear diff I have to first go to N, Push the 4 Low button, and one it's locked, I press the Rear diff button.

I know what it should feel like going Over places like the one in JDREW picture without having diff locks (prom my previous ISUZU).

The thing is that with the H3, It realy seems the rear diff lock has no effect at all.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3019/962B0FF1C2B240AAA57B8C4683FF2B89.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, Cool Haimi. See, we learn something every day.

Yes you have the locker, and haveto be in Low to lock the rear. I don't know what feel of the seat you were expecting. It just locks both rear wheels to almost turn in unison. Will only stay locked uner 20mph. Really its for rock crawling, deep mud, and working the truck, like dragging a downed tree or ripping out a stump, pulling out a stuck TOYOTA. Just spreads traction, that's all. You won't appreciate it, until you really need it. Most of the time you should not need it