PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

"Rear Access Open" message and leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Default "Rear Access Open" message and leaking

Hey guys, new to the forum here. I am starting to work on some issues with my 2003 H2 that was handed down to me. Ive looked, but cannot find any threads that specifically refer to the issues below.

The first thing I want to tackle is the "Rear Access Open" message that shows up on the dash. I have obviously tried many times to shut the tailgate, but message keeps appearing. It also causes the alarm to go off in the middle of the night.

It is also leaking in heavy rain and going through car wash.

Any suggestions on how to fix?

Old 03-05-2014, 04:28 PM

For the leaking check the weatherstrip around the hatch and see if it is torn or missing from anywhere. For the rear hatch open message, I don't recall seeing a pin anywhere so it might be using the locking mechanism to sense when the hatch is closed. Pull the interior trim off the rear hatch and take a look at everything with the wiring. I've had mine off to replace my locking mechanism once. There might be a bad wire or ground in there somewhere.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:09 PM

I'd have to agree with LoJac, I'd start with the leaking issue by examining the weatherstripping. Look all the way around it with emphasis on the top portion and the corners. These can easily be replaced on eBay or any GM website.

The alarm issue is yet another problem. I could not absolutely say your alarm is going off because of the rear door, there could be other culprits. You didn't say if your alarm was the factory one or an after market one. Do you have a sensitivity adjustment control with your alarm system???

If you have an aftermarket alarm, one possible way to rule out the rear door would be to do like LoJack suggests and check the wiring, but to rule this out, simply disconnect the locking wiring that controls the hatch, the latches are controlled by cables so it cant be the latch controls inside the doors. If your alarm still goes off after disconnecting the rear door wiring then its the wiring on the hatch, if it doesn't go off, then its somewhere else.

Keep us posted.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:29 PM

Thanks guys. I will try those things out first. It was the factory alarm that I was referring to.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:09 PM

Ok, let us know how it goes. I'm kinda curious to see if you find the leak then we can look into more of the alarm issues if necessary.