PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Really Weird Noise at 80MPH

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Default Really Weird Noise at 80MPH

Hello all!!

New member here. Just picked up an H3 about two weeks ago now. Looking forward to being a contributing member here. I'm very active on other car forums and firearm forums as well.

Well I was on my way to a competition shoot last weekend. Early in the morning so the roads were empty and I was late. Got her up to 80MPH for the first time that day and a strange noise came about. I checked the sun roof SEVERAL times and that is not the cause. The noise is coming from the dashboard area. I'm thinking it is caused by pressure, air of some sort at speed. When I got home that day looked around and found nothing open, flapping, etc.

Here is a link to the youtube vid I made of the noise. You'll see that when I back off the throttle the noise goes away, then back up to 80mph and it comes back.

Hummer Noise Video - YouTube

And of course a picture of her. Bone stock 07. Mods to come

Old 01-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums! That is one crazy pic, I like the fade/fuzz-out edges.

Sounds like one of the variable noises cause by your windshield (pillar) reveal moldings. Mine will "buzz" with a strong cross wind on occasion. It is a known problem, usually worse after a windshield replacement because those plastic moldings fit for crap.

If you still have warranty they may replace it, you can try to put some trim adhesive under each inner corner on top if you want to see if that is indeed your noise maker.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:16 AM

Wow the windshield. Not gonna lie, never even thought about that. Just assumed it was GTG. This is my first domestic car ever so I guess I better start checking things I take for granted. Thanks for the input Doc!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:43 AM

same issue with mine.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:21 PM

That's the stall alarm, push the yoke forward to pitch the nose down.

My 09 is over 80 pretty frequently with no noise, guess I got lucky.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 AM

Just to be on the safe side and pure speculation I would also look into the hood louver panel, and the windshield wipers. Try what Doc said first and go from there, if it still continues you know where to look. Must be nice to live in flat FL my rpms would be over 4k I tried to drive 80 up here lol!