PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

RC Airplanes Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Default RC Airplanes Anyone?

Just took up this hobby after years of RC Cars. Its a lot of fun...when you don't wreck. I made a little video of me and my buddy flying our new toys around. Forgive the quality, its my first time making a video and we used a digital still camera to record it. Let me know what you think.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NYIEZVSzYpc

Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: RC Airplanes Anyone?

I always loved RC stuff but never owned a plane or helo, which I have always wanted.

My wife was sweet enough to get me a cheapy RC plane for my B-day, actually a year ago to this week. It was one of those where the altitude was controlled by the speed and had a rear fan for turning

Well, JUST as I finally got the hang of it, the damn transmitter broke [&o] The potentiometers just died.

My wife says she should have bought me the helo

Hey Dooks, have you ever seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IXQVh5IbHc

Someone in my company that had ties to this guy told me he is some kind of designer or engineer for one of the plane manufacturers and built this from scratch. To this day I'm still amazed.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

I always loved RC stuff but never owned a plane or helo, which I have always wanted.

My wife was sweet enough to get me a cheapy RC plane for my B-day, actually a year ago to this week. It was one of those where the altitude was controlled by the speed and had a rear fan for turning

Well, JUST as I finally got the hang of it, the damn transmitter broke [&o] The potentiometers just died.

My wife says she should have bought me the helo

Hey Dooks, have you ever seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IXQVh5IbHc

Someone in my company that had ties to this guy told me he is some kind of designer or engineer for one of the plane manufacturers and built this from scratch. To this day I'm still amazed.
That jet is pretty amazing. I bet it cost more than my H3.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:29 PM

Here is one of the best RC's I have ever bought:

www.havocheli.com

You can pick them up @ Target for $30. Great for flying in the house. Extremely durable.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Man my dogs would LOVE that! I have seen thosemany times but thought they wouldn't work well.

Can you control the altitude or just forward and turning?

Old 01-18-2008, 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

Man my dogs would LOVE that! I have seen those many times but thought they wouldn't work well.

Can you control the altitude or just forward and turning?
Altitude is controlled by throttle. I put a little weight in the nose to make it move forward more. It basically always moves forward. Letf/right is controlled by the tail rotor. Its a little trial and error at first, but I'm pretty good at it now. And like I said, its very durable. I have wrecked it hundreds of times and nothing has broke.

My dog HATES is by the way. He tries to ****** it out of the air. Very amusing.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:03 PM

Never got in to rc planes, built plenty of model airplanes growing up. Would have still have them today if I didn't find fireworks when I hit my teen years. Made some great explosions though. Cool video. What's the learning curve on the havi heli? Is it hard to fly?

Old 01-18-2008, 01:08 PM

I grew up flying RC planes. I've had little ones and some big ones. I had a 1/5 scale P-51D Mustang with a 4 stroke engine, had retracts, flaps and all the goodies. It was painted up like a Reno Air Racer Mustang I once saw.

Also had a 1/4 scale Piper Cub with floats.

THEN.... I got the helicopter bug. Bought a Kalt Baron 30 back in the late 80's. It was a handful to even hover. I didn't know how to fly it and it had no gyros back then, I could bunny hop around and that's about it. Then I got a mechanical rate gyro for the tail rotor and man that settled it down. I moved shortly after getting into helicopters and eventually sold the heli, cub and mustang.

I wound up getting back into helicopters back in 2000 and flew a little nitro powered Raptor 30, then a Raptor 60, then 90. Then I sold all the Thunder Tiger stuff and moved up to the pro line of Miniature Aircraft Fury Extremes. It was a beast, it would fly about 80 MPH in straight and level fly, climbs over a 1000' a minute and could fly upside down, backwards, you name it IF you move the sticks the right way.

After flying the two Fury Extremes with the OS 91 racing engines with 30% nitro. I moved up to Gas Helis, even bigger and badder than the glow fuel machines.

I was a field rep for Century Helicopters for a few years but had to resign the position due to my job keeping me out of town most of the time.

I still have my aerobatic gasser, it's a big heli weighing about 13lbs wet. And I am building a scale customized Hughes 500D for scale class competition.

Here's a picture of me and my Fury Extreme 3D aerobatic machine:

Here's a few shots of my Fury flying inverted:

Here's my 3D aerobatic Gasser:

Here's my Hughes 500D Scale Helicopter project, almost finished:

Old 01-18-2008, 01:14 PM

Wow Hummer Driver! Nice Heli's! Heli's take so much more skill to fly. I have a E-Flight Blade CX (learner Heli) and its pretty hard to hover. I watch a lot of 3D Heli videos on youtube...it just amazes me.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Trey124

Never got in to rc planes, built plenty of model airplanes growing up. Would have still have them today if I didn't find fireworks when I hit my teen years. Made some great explosions though. Cool video. What's the learning curve on the havi heli? Is it hard to fly?
Havoc Heli is pretty easy. You will get the hang of it in 5 minutes. You'll be a pro in a week.

Quick Reply: RC Airplanes Anyone?