PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

question on trans cooler mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by eleewhm
thanks guys...

any reason for using the tru cooler?.. i am not thinking of towing anything greater than 4000lbs
A lot of people do the external cooler because the internal one is known to let go. When this happens it floods your trans with coolant and destroys it.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by coldhammer
i have my 06 in the shop getting some stuff done and told the shop to install an external tranny cooler. They called me today to say that my h2 already has an external tranny cooler installed. There saying it looks oem. Does anyone know if this was an option or something from the factory?
Yes there is a factory external transmission cooler. It's a POS.
but the entire point of the mod is bypassing the radiator.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:42 PM

I was looking at the plate type cooler,witch will automatically regulate the fluid until the oil temp is up, Has anyone used one of these,

Old 02-18-2015, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by h2offroad
Yes there is a factory external transmission cooler. It's a POS.
but the entire point of the mod is bypassing the radiator.
So even the Oem external trans cooler is a POS still bypass the radiator or it does comes with same problem of flowing the tranny

Old 02-19-2015, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
So even the Oem external trans cooler is a POS still bypass the radiator or it does comes with same problem of flowing the tranny
From the factory, the transmission cooling lines run THROUGH the radiator, then to the OEM external cooler.
Those lines inside the radiator are known to fail, which wipes out the tranny.
Even if you buy a bigger cooler, of you don't bypass the radiator, those lines will still be at risk inside the radiator.
I'm pretty sure there's some guys that kept the OEM cooler and just bypassed the radiator lines. They seem to be doing fine too.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:19 AM

ended up going with a larger cooler and bypassing the lines.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:45 PM

This style of cooler B&M 70273 SuperCooler Black Aluminum Fluid Cooler will regulate the fluid when cold so the trans will warm up. with out any other parts or thermostat it is self controlled has anybody tried this type

Old 02-25-2015, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by woodwardsh3
This style of cooler B&M 70273 SuperCooler Black Aluminum Fluid Cooler will regulate the fluid when cold so the trans will warm up. with out any other parts or thermostat it is self controlled has anybody tried this type
my tranny just got wiped out due to factory cooler and being too busy to change i had the trucool cooler sitting in shop and sure enough factory cooler blew and destroyed my tranny i suggest anyone with factory cooler change asap

Old 02-25-2015, 11:52 AM

Anything else needed beside the tru cool 4739? Other than Trans fluid that is. I'd like to order one tonight.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by mp51998
Anything else needed beside the tru cool 4739? Other than Trans fluid that is. I'd like to order one tonight.
i towed mine into gm to replace tranny and put in cooler the tru cool kit had everything needed but it looks like mechanic made 2 aluminum brackets to hold cooler really simple once you have cooler mocked in.elcova forums has pic and writeup if you search.

Quick Reply: question on trans cooler mod