PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Question about sunroof leak / drains

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Default Question about sunroof leak / drains

So, I did a search and found lots of talk about clogged drains, but I figured I'd post my situation before returning to the dealer again.

Since we've owned our 2007 H3 (3 weeks maybe), we've been going through a pretty dry weather period and haven't had the H3 out in any rain. However, last week we drove it to Missouri to visit friends and during our stay there was a pretty significant storm. The H3 was parked outside in our friends' driveway on a slight incline. The next day when we got in the H3, we pulled out of the driveway and all of the sudden, once the front of the truck was lower than the rear, quite a bit of water poured down from the sunroof area (it was closed), seemingly from the rear of the vehicle. I was hoping this was because my wife may have not closed it properly at some point. But, today I took it through a car wash (making sure the sunroof was closed properly) and it leaked visibly at the rear passenger corner. None got on us, whatever drain system is in place worked, but there was a noticeable "sloshing" for several minutes, which finally went away. Then, when I got home, I just poured water from a cup onto each corner of the closed sunroof. Again, the only place I saw any leakage was from the passenger rear corner. Each time after pouring the water, I noticed it drained out just behind the front wheel on each side. I'm under the impression that there are front and rear drains, but no water drained from anywhere further back, just the spot behind each front wheel.

Anyways, not sure if this is a drain problem.... or if the sunroof itself at the passenger rear where the water is coming through needs to be sealed... that seems like common sense, but I'm not familiar with anything automotive, so I'm pretty much in the dark.

Thanks for any info, you guys have been very helpful with the issues I've been having with our H3 and I appreciate it very much.

Mark

Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

not sure if it relates to you... but do a search from a poster trey124... his drains were pinched by the airbag stuff.... as I remember....

I'm having a hard time finding it... but it caused him hell for months... and only on slight inclines....

Old 07-18-2011, 02:15 PM

Muddy, thanks for the reply. The sunroof leaked today on flat surfaces (the car wash and my garage).

Mark

Old 07-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

I'm clueless on the whole thing.... to be honest... I don't even own a H3.... but you are not alone... there have been 100's of posts on this.... on several forums...

I don't know how good your dealer is... but trey had carpets replaced, seats replaced, etc... the problem seems to have different causes... it sounds like you might have a slow drain... which seems to be better than what others have experienced...

Old 07-18-2011, 02:51 PM

Thanks again for the ideas. My uneducated thoughts are:

1) The sunroof itself needs some sort of sealing or molding replaced
or
2) The drains are not working properly
or
3) A combo of 1 and 2

I have called our dealer's service dept. (Carmax) and left a message, now just waiting for them to call back. Hoping to get this resolved by Friday as we are leaving on a vacation this weekend and a family of 5 fits better in an H3 than a VW GTI, haha!

Mark

Old 07-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Banned
Default vacation this weekend and a family of 5 fits better in an H3

love my h3, but would not look forward ton a trip with ,,,5!!,,,yikes.
ill leave thur with a cooler up front,18 speed in back with frt wheel off a bag and a box,laptop.
if that 5.0ft,110 lb cutie was still my wife, well i might get her in,,,somehow,,maybe.

the hummer really dont have space to spare!! 5 humans??with a small bag each and youre full up,maybe a water bottle!

at least its not an h2t,,zero storage

Last edited by drtom; 07-18-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
vacation this weekend and a family of 5 fits better in an H3

love my h3, but would not look forward ton a trip with ,,,5!!,,,yikes.
ill leave thur with a cooler up front,18 speed in back with frt wheel off a bag and a box,laptop.
if that 5.0ft,110 lb cutie was still my wife, well i might get her in,,,somehow,,maybe.

the hummer really dont have space to spare!! 5 humans??with a small bag each and youre full up,maybe a water bottle!

at least its not an h2t,,zero storage
tom, What the Heck does your illegible post have to do with the amyandmark3 sunroof thread???? Put down the moon shine!

Old 07-18-2011, 05:22 PM

I think he's saying to dump the kids and just take the wife, haha.

Carmax can't get us in until after our vacation, so I'm gonna see if I can locate the drains and see if I can determine if they're clogged or not. If anyone reads this, do I need to be on an incline to get the water to drain out of the back drains? Or should they drain even if on a flat surface (ie. in my garage)? Thanks again.

Mark

Last edited by amyandmark3; 07-18-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:47 PM

One more thing: How do you gain access to the rear drains? I see the front ones and they both seem to be clogged (water drains down both front ones very slowly if at all). Would like to check the rear ones if possible. Will likely try compressed air on them tomorrow unless I get better ideas here.

Mark

Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Banned

oh i can help here. this was posted b4. water runs down hill so u gatta park on my driveway!!

this has been here about once a week for a year or 2 so i commented on your 5 people adventure,as a warning. u will prob be uncomfortable regardless of the water!!!

now if taint would stop cluttering up the place withe comments 3 places from the orig wed be ok.

anyway theres a hundred posts about leaking skylites,,,read on bro,,,

Quick Reply: Question about sunroof leak / drains