PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Question about the H1

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Default Question about the H1

Hello everyone, as you can see, yes I am a nooooobbb on this particular forum. I know there is a search feature but I can't seem to find what I'm really looking for. Right now I'm in the market for a Hummer H1. I live in Los Angeles California. I commute alot on the freeways and streets here. So I was wondering, with all this in mind, what year hummer is recommended for myself. Gas is not a big factor as the car I have right now is a gas guzzler as well. I guess something that is recommended around the 30k - 40k range. So what I am looking at is reliability, any over heating to worry about, just things along those lines. It's mainly reliablity and cost of maintence. All the information that can be given would be greatly appreciated since I know you guys are owners and probably have read up on it alot. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks.

ViperVern

Old 11-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Default RE: Question about the H1

If your primary concerns are reliability and cost of maintenance while driving mostly on the freeway and commuting, in the 30-40k price range... then theH1 is not for you.
It requires regular service and preventative maintenance, and in my experience it has more problems when it is driven constantly on the road than when it gets to stretch its legs off-road.

That is my $.02

Old 11-30-2007, 02:54 PM

That was exactly what I was looking for, I was wondering, what is the average cost of maintence usually? On a H1? Also what type of problems have been experienced on the roads? Thanks in advance!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:31 PM

Thanks too hmcoleap!!! I was looking for that answer too....

Was looking to buy this H1 drive about 10,000 miles a year on it and see whats next?

So driving these H1's as a dailey driver is a bad idea? Now I am thinking these things are junk?

A Land Crusier or LR3, rubicon for the fact seems to handle the dailey grime the best...

In Iraq I smashed up tons of cars in Baghdad and Al Fallujah with a Ford Excursion 6.0L navistar and did the desert dash at 110mph for months of abuse with little problems as H1's were down all the time?go BlackH2o!!As now things are making me steer away from this deal on the H1...

Old 12-03-2007, 12:42 PM

I wouldn't say it can't be done; but the regular maintenance on an H1 is more akin to maintaining a tractor or dump truck or other heavy equipment than it is like another type of passenger car or pickup truck. It requires regular greasing of the many zirks on the chassis, regular inspection of suspension and steering parts (ball joints, tie rod ends, idler and pitman arms, etc). Fluids need to be changed regularly. Brake pads will wear out quickly if you do a lot of stopping from high speed.

I used my H1 as a daily driver for 3 years before I got a second vehicle, and it worked out fine for me; but I had a 40 mile commute on a combinati0on of backroads and non-major highways. It is not the best car for long highway commutes. It is prone to more vibrations and shaking because of the large tires, heavy wheels and runflats, and the unique way it is built. These trucks were not built on a mechanized assembly line by machines, they are hand-built by people. Anyone who has designed accessories or done custom work on an H1 can attest to the fact that no two have exactly the same measurements.

Remember, these are a modified version of a military vehicle that was made to go 55mph in convoys (not 80mph on the freeway) - they can do it, but are nowhere near as well suited for that kind of primary purpose as a vehicle that was built from the ground up for highway first and off-road second (like the H2, Range Rover, etc.)

Off-road, they are truly amazing beasts once you learn how to drive 'em.
If you have your own garage and enjoy getting under the truck regularly to do your own maintenance, the H1 isn't a bad rig at all - but if you bring it to the dealership for everything, be prepared to pay about $120 per hour and to expect lots of adjustments.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:43 PM

most h1s are diesels and those can be high maintenence especially older ones. plus iot sounds like your not going to be offroading a lot maybe you should consider an h2.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

I drive two H1s regularly. The main issue is to keep the regular maintenance current. If you buy a truck with a lot of deffered maintenance be prepared to spend a wad to bring it current. I had to spend a lot of money to get my 97 up to where it should be. Since then the bills have been routine. My 2006 has been a dream. When you consider that the H1 is a truly unique vehicle( CTIS, geared hubs, inward mounted brakes....) you should expect the maintenance to be higher than normal. The H1 will not do 110 mph but I routinely criuse on the highway at 75, traffic allowing. It is a purpose built vehicle and if you want to use it for something other than that purpose it is not going to be the ideal vehicle for what you want to do.
Fortunately for me the the maintenance and fuel costs are not significant factors.
For an everyday driver with great off road capability the H2 or H3 are excellent choices for most people.
If you want a POS expensive vehicle to keep on the road go ahead and get the Land Rover. Several people that work for me have bought the Range Rover/Land Rover and they have all spent amazing amounts of time in the shop. If you drive in LA an H1 can be difficult to park. Most of the parking is in public lots/garages and they don't oversize many parking spaces.
If you are stretching to buy something in the 35-40K range and have to drive it everyday I would say there are better choices for you out there.