PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Putco Hood Vent Cover - Install??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 03:10 PM

Hollywould:

Wo...you got one great lookin' ride! I really like the nice touch of installing a fifth wheel on the spare...most (like me) just put a cover over the spare. Classy!

I looked at your hood cover and really like it! Is it plastic or metal?

Originally Posted by hollywould
Rob4092xx - Installation is actualy pretty simple. Supposedly. I put a rag right up next to the hood vent, placed a flathead screwdriver up under the lip with the rag as a protector, and lifted up. Hood vent just pops off with ease. The Putco cover has 2 metal brackets at the bottom of the vent, you slide the original black vent into the brackets, and push into place. At the top, there are to more brackets that you need to bend down over the original, once in place. That's where I had my issues. My black vent did not fit into the Putco cover. So, I bent back the 2 bottom brackets, force-fit the black hood vent, then hammered all 4 brackets down. Worked like a champ. Once all is complete, you just snap the hood vent right back onto the hood. Done deal.

Here are some pics, albeit crap pics of some of my new updates. I've got a better camera at the office that I will use tomorrow. The camera at the house is about 5 years old. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3282426

talusfan - Putco door covers SUCK! They don't come close to fitting. But, they'll serve their purpose 'till the the all chrome handles arrive. Really like their chrome mirror covers, though. OK fit, and look good.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:05 PM

Rob4092xx - Appreciate it! Tried to make it more my style. I dig it. Thanks for the kind words regarding the 5th wheel. Just a pet peeve of mine. Not sure why. BUT . . . it does change the look of the vehicle.

The vent cover is plastic. However, it really does have a nice "chrome" finish. You can't tell the difference from a few feet away, IMO. Though, I've seen the Billet replacements. They look REAL legit. But the Putco products will suffice in the interim. Already ordered the chrome door handles, am going to leave the chrome mirror covers, as I like the way they look. And the vent cover works! It looks good. And if you saw two H3's driving down the road (one with Putco, one with Billet), you couldn't tell the difference. Up close? Yes.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 AM

My original hood vent was epoxy'd directly to the hood, there was a recall on those from them flying off and hitting windshield. So dealers either Glued the clips on the underside of the hood, or like mine where they glued the hood and pushed cover back on. I could barely get corners up high enough to hook the clips from the Chrome vent cover underneath. Mine looks OK but the 2 sided tape isn't doing anything, it's not even touching the old vent. If the old vent isn't glued down you can take it off and grind it down a bit till it fits perfectly inside new cover. I'm gonna cut and grind my old vent till it comes off then find a cheap used vent to modify and attach my chrome cover over so it looks better.