PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Putco Hood Vent Cover - Install??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Default Putco Hood Vent Cover - Install??

Trying to install one of these Putco Chrome Hood Vent Covers. I know it should just be the real thing. I'll get to that. But this is sitting in my garage, and it needs to go on this H3.

Never installed one of these before. Seems the Putco piece is too small for the original piece. It doesn't fit into the predetermined grooves. The instructions are of no use. Just says, "Easy to install. Just this, then this, then you're done!"

Anyone installed one of these on their H3 before? Any tips/advice?

Old 08-02-2009, 09:51 PM

id recommend getting back to where you purchased it from. as it's oviously NOT very easy to install. should have come specific for the car your purchased it for. if it dosnt fit, it dosnt fit.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:51 AM

I jimmied it. Fits now. Had to coax it on. But it made it. Nice little upgrade. Changes the look up, if you're about the bling.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Is this the vent that is chrome plastic and has two hood handles?

I thought it just stuck onto the stock black vent with double-sided 3m tape?

I have been thinking about buying one of these. Please tell me more about the install and if you like it. Can you attach photos?

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2009, 02:34 PM

I used some silicone too besides the tape, I do not want that thing flying off at 80mph into someones windshield, They are a pain to fit on the first time.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:14 PM

talusfan - I've had the same weird feeling. I hammered mine into place. No ****. That thing isn't going anywhere. Well, knock on wood. Hahaha. It was definitely a pain to get it right.

Rob4092xx- That's the one! I, too, thought it just stuck onto the black vent with tape. Maybe yours will just slide on with no hassles. Mine sure didn't. Entire piece was what seemed to be about 1/8th of an inch too small. Just would not give. Had to bend the metal brackets on the inside of the chrome cover to allow the black vent to fit into the chrome cover. Then just hammered the hell out of the metal brackets. Once everything was in place, it's good to go. Locked back into the hood just as expected.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow evening! It's going for a bath tomorrow afternoon.

I will say that once you get the piece to fit (I'm by no means mechanically inclined) it looks bad ***. Makes a drastic change. I'll be affixing some black padded 3M grips (just a thick, soft, black tape) to the handle side closest to the winshield, though. One heck of a shine in your eyes when the sun hits it just right. Only on the chrome handle facing the winshield. Everywhere else you're OK.

Product gets my suggestion for anyone wanting to go "bling". Just did the Putco handle covers and side mirror covers, as well. Ordered everything for $270, including delivery from ebay. Not too happy with the door handles. I'll be replacing those with the real thing VERY soon. Works for now, though. Mirror covers are spot on. Look great, cost effective, perfect for what I wanted. Course, I dropped this one 3" all around on 24"s, too. LOL!

Old 08-05-2009, 12:23 PM

Hollywood:

I haven't ever seen one of these covers in person. Can you please go into a little more detail on how they install? It sounds like they have some metal brackets or something???

Do you remove the factory black grill and this replaces it? Where exactly was the fit issue?

Photos would be great!

Old 08-05-2009, 02:00 PM

It's pretty easy, Just pop your hood louver off to install it though, Its alot easier that way.
Those putco door handle covers suck. They don't fit anywhere near to exactly right. I chucked them and picked up the real thing, Alot of peole are more than happy to trade the black ones for chrome ones. Takes about 10 minutes to switch them all out.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 PM

Rob4092xx - Installation is actualy pretty simple. Supposedly. I put a rag right up next to the hood vent, placed a flathead screwdriver up under the lip with the rag as a protector, and lifted up. Hood vent just pops off with ease. The Putco cover has 2 metal brackets at the bottom of the vent, you slide the original black vent into the brackets, and push into place. At the top, there are to more brackets that you need to bend down over the original, once in place. That's where I had my issues. My black vent did not fit into the Putco cover. So, I bent back the 2 bottom brackets, force-fit the black hood vent, then hammered all 4 brackets down. Worked like a champ. Once all is complete, you just snap the hood vent right back onto the hood. Done deal.

Here are some pics, albeit crap pics of some of my new updates. I've got a better camera at the office that I will use tomorrow. The camera at the house is about 5 years old. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3282426

talusfan - Putco door covers SUCK! They don't come close to fitting. But, they'll serve their purpose 'till the the all chrome handles arrive. Really like their chrome mirror covers, though. OK fit, and look good.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:51 PM

They look great...at first. After a year or so they start to pit and turn to crap. Im always on the lookout for some factory chrome mirrors. People say that the putco stuff peels but I havent seen any of that happen with mine. I might go the 'tactical' route yet.

Quick Reply: Putco Hood Vent Cover - Install??