PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Pulstar Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Default Pulstar Plugs?

Pulstar Plugs?
Just wondering if anyone has tried or herd of these sparkplugs before?They are about $25 each here is the link http://www.pulstarplug.com/index.htmlIf they really work the way they say the benefits seem pretty sweet. I know Harleys better than cars and I have always used spark coils from a company called Jacobs Electronics because the spark they produce is much hotter and therefore you can increase the gap of the plug significantly and in doing so improving engine response, power not sure about mpg I never really paid attention to that on my motorcycles. Anyway the pulstar plugs seem to work along the same line of thought.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Pulstar Plugs?

They look kinda risky. The SplitFires were known for causing holes in piston heads and causing bad head gaskets and piston rings because of the extra heat. These things seem like they would burn holes right through your cylinders! That's alot of heat wouldn't you think?

Old 06-15-2007, 11:36 AM

Another chat about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. There are many websites that talk about the Act. I got the interpretation and parts of the actual act from the website below. After my thoughts and the thoughts of others, you really should check into as many sources about this Act as you can.

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-2669.html

In this particular case of these spark plugs, I read the manufacturers site. The maker claims in their FAQ:

"Q: Will the installation of Pulstarâ„¢ affect the warranty on my car?

A: No. The 1975 Magnuson Moss Act prevents a manufacturer from voiding a warranty based on a customer's selection of parts that the dealer does not offer."

I think there statement is dangerous. Actually not only dangerous but in my opinion it could open the company to litigation if their product is ever found to damage an engine. If they KNOW their product is safe, then their statement would be ok, but are they 100% sure it will not damage an engine? Is anyone ever 100% sure of anything? No, companies recall stuff all the time. I am not trying to degrade the product, I actually want to find out if it works as advertised without adverse effects because if it does, I would buy them for my H3.

Yes, the Act allows a consumer to use aftermarket parts not from a dealer, HOWEVER, (read below) if the dealer can prove the aftermarket part caused damage to your vehicle it can void that part of the warranty. I would not buy these plugs until you can either 1. Contact GM and talk to them about this particular item and see if they give you a go or no go, 2. Talk to the manufacturer and get a guarantee that the plugs will not cause any damage to your engine, or 3. Do some better research on these plugs to see if they have ever damaged any engines (this is the worst of my three recommendations because I do not know how long this product has been out.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (another interpretation) from the site I listed above:

[i]"Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.

Specifically, the rules and regulations adopted by the FTC to govern the interpretation and enforcement of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 16 - Commercial Practices, Chapter I - Federal Trade Commission, Subchapter G - Rules, Regulations, Statements and Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Part 700 - Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Contained within these rules and regulations is Section 700.10, which states:
No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or dama

Old 06-15-2007, 12:06 PM

Not to say it is not true but I had never heard of splitfire plugs damaging an engine. Also this Q&A is from splitfires site.

Q: Are SplitFire Spark Plugs hotter than normal plugs?
A: No. A SplitFire Spark Plug has an unblocked flame kernel, not a hotter one

So it would seem that the only performance gain from splitfire is that the point of ignition is less obstructed thus allowing a better burn. As for the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. I don't know much about it, but allover the Pulstar site they say that it will not void your warranty nor will it harm your engine. So that would make them liableI would think.If anything I would just call Hummer and ask them if there would be a warranty issue. I don't know I may just have to try them, but I will have to wait until I bring my H3 to get it looked over.Since my gas mileage has dropped recently and I have some noise out of the front suspension and I just had knee surgery yesterday. But when and if I do I will make sure to post any changes and or benefits.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Well I'm no expert, but I have read alot of information that has said Splitfire plugs have been contributed to excessive carbon build-up in the cyliners and have personally had this problem when I ran them in my '99 Rodeo I used to have. Another co-worker used them and had a small hole burn right through the top of his piston head which was supposedly due to the splitfire (although I have my doubts as well). Do some research on the web about the problems with them. I would just be a little paranoid. I honestly would love to try these out as well. They look like they have great potential.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:10 PM

I'll have to look into the splitfire plugs now you have got me curious what the real deal is on them. I did use them once well twice now that I think about it but they were on Harleys, a 1972 shovel head that was bored and stroked on a rigid (my first Harley) that I rebuilt and on a 1994 FXR (my cousins) that I worked on and neither of us liked them at the time they did not even work better than the regular Harley plugs and when you looked at them sparking (by holding the plug against the engine head and trying to start) I remember feeling like the spark looked week and could not decide where to go. Anyway that was 12 years ago maybe they got better.

But I'm curious why no one else has chimed in. I was hoping to get more feed back on what everyone here thought. On every other thread that has anything to do with performance gains it seem like everyone wants in

Old 06-15-2007, 09:25 PM

unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.
GM has no such stipulation in their warranty...However I believe someone added that, and it's not in the real MMA.
Also read this again..
Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.

This is almost impossible to prove.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:38 AM

Hey Dennis thanks for the clarification, that’s what I figured. Do you have any opinion on the spark plugs? Or for that matter has anyone used any high performance plugs with any noticeable results in the performance of there H3?

Old 06-16-2007, 12:10 PM

I have been searching for reviews on the plugs. So far nothing other than press releases from the company and different forum posts from drivers of all kinds of cars. Some claiming they help, others saying it's a scam. The July 2007 issue of Popular Science has an article about it according to one of the posts. It must not give any testing info because two people who read the article asked if anyone knew if they had been tested.

It will be interesting to see future testing results from independent testers. Apparently there will be or is now some rigorous testing ongoing for these but I don't know that for sure.

Personally I will wait, I want more facts before I would try them.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:25 PM

true true I do belive they are a new product and since I will be laid up for a while I think I will do the same and wait and see what other have to say.

Quick Reply: Pulstar Plugs?