PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Problem with rear diff locker

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Default Problem with rear diff locker

Hello.

Greetings from Poland.
I'm going to buy H3 with adventure package. Yesterday i was checking one of them and everything was perfect except the rear locker. In my country it's extremely exotic car so it's impossible to have any kind of help or dealership service.

We lift the car up, switched central diff to 4Lo lock and press rear diff button.
We were able to hear when 4Lo mode was activated (silent sound and gentle twitch), but whem i pressed rear diff button nothing had happen. Light on the button switched on (wasn't blinking). When I span the wheel towards, another wheel span backwards. According to my knowledge this mean, that the locker didn't do his job.

On the dashboard everything looks OK. Every lights were light up, non of them were blinking, any failure text didn't appear.

Maybe i did something wrong and simply cannot switch this properly on or something is wrong with the car.

Please excuse me my language. I hope I described it quite good.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:15 PM

I never did what you did but when I drive on grass in tight circles I can see the tires digging/roughing up the grass indicating all wheels rotating at different speeds as they should when locked.
someone else will surely have more to say,
I do think your test should work.
I might try it when possible.

welcome to you and good guys from Poland!!

Old 09-08-2013, 11:09 PM

With it in 4 low and locker button switched on check for 12v at the diff where the wire enters the diff to the locker.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by szweda
Hello.

Greetings from Poland.
I'm going to buy H3 with adventure package. Yesterday i was checking one of them and everything was perfect except the rear locker. In my country it's extremely exotic car so it's impossible to have any kind of help or dealership service.

We lift the car up, switched central diff to 4Lo lock and press rear diff button.
We were able to hear when 4Lo mode was activated (silent sound and gentle twitch), but whem i pressed rear diff button nothing had happen. Light on the button switched on (wasn't blinking). When I span the wheel towards, another wheel span backwards. According to my knowledge this mean, that the locker didn't do his job.

On the dashboard everything looks OK. Every lights were light up, non of them were blinking, any failure text didn't appear.

Maybe i did something wrong and simply cannot switch this properly on or something is wrong with the car.

Please excuse me my language. I hope I described it quite good.
I don't think you can test it like that. Pretty sure you need to apply power to the drive train for the system to work.

Originally Posted by happythree
I never did what you did but when I drive on grass in tight circles I can see the tires digging/roughing up the grass indicating all wheels rotating at different speeds as they should when locked.
someone else will surely have more to say,
I do think your test should work.
I might try it when possible.

welcome to you and good guys from Poland!!
You got this backwards, when locked both wheels turn at the same speed, that's the point of the locker.

Last edited by Aussie H3; 09-09-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:57 AM

I believe he is correct, you need to have some power to the drive-train to make it engage.

I've had issues trying to lock it on jack stands, yet it works fine while driving.

I think it needs a little torque to spin the diff into position for the pins to lock in.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Default oooops!!

[QUOTE][You got this backwards, when locked both wheels turn at the same speed, that's the point of the locker/QUOTE]

RIGHT!! I had it right in my head but "rong" on typing.!!

I meant that the circles cut in grass or easily seen in snow, show that the wheels WANT to move at different speeds and do in normal operation but obviously in locked mode,ARE LOCKED!! and hence,cut circles in the grass.
sorry bout that

Old 09-09-2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by R-code17815
I believe he is correct, you need to have some power to the drive-train to make it engage.

I've had issues trying to lock it on jack stands, yet it works fine while driving.

I think it needs a little torque to spin the diff into position for the pins to lock in.
I didn't write, but we drove few feets to reach lifter, so some of the torque was given.
I decided to buy this car cause everything is perfect. So propably i'll check that during the weekend, now is the time to get know how.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by szweda
I didn't write, but we drove few feets to reach lifter, so some of the torque was given.
I decided to buy this car cause everything is perfect. So propably i'll check that during the weekend, now is the time to get know how.
Yes but I believe that the wheels unlock when coasting and no power is applied, and they only lock while power is applied to the wheels from the engine, when power is taken away the assembly free wheels and is not locked.

This is how it worked in another vehicle I had, my Hummer has no lock, so can not really check myself.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Default uhh?

Yes but I believe that the wheels unlock when coasting and no power is applied,
I don't think so. in a post a while back it showed a h3 on a hill in neutral with wheels turned. it didn't drift because of the lockup.
I suppose the transfer case lock would do that but the diffs definetlly would.

when you're on/off the gas it would go crazy banging around!

Old 09-10-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Aussie H3
Yes but I believe that the wheels unlock when coasting and no power is applied, and they only lock while power is applied to the wheels from the engine, when power is taken away the assembly free wheels and is not locked.

This is how it worked in another vehicle I had, my Hummer has no lock, so can not really check myself.
You right, but when we're talking aboutlsd lockers.

Here we got great explanation. Now, how h3 diff lock should work is clear, question is why it didn't

Quick Reply: Problem with rear diff locker